2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:27 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.

Hello again,
I have a 96 Ram 1500 Magnum 6cyl 3.9 liter that seems to start and run fairly well when its cold or after stalling, I can wait a while and it will start. It had an intermittent will not idle problem, but after replacing the IAC, I haven't had that problem.

The speedometer wasn't working so I replaced the VSS and the speedometer still isn't working.

Today, I drove 16 miles and as soon as I got home, I placed it in park and she died and wouldn't start. It would try. It sounded like it wasn't getting enough fuel. I tried tapping the gas paddle and it wanted to run but acted like an old carb engine that was flooded.

I might mention that I've researched the vehicle maintenance and its been maintained by a small garage and has had regular maintenance except factory PCM or recall fixes.

The truck has sat only being driven 800 miles in 6 Years!!!!

Anyway, the truck cooled a bit today and started and idled fine. I stepped out of the truck and heard a rattling sound from the back underside of the truck and it immediately died. Waited a few minutes, it started a little easier but I heard same sound an engine died.
Started again, heard strange noise, truck kept running for 1 minute and died. Hard start, but seems to be starting without the 30 minute wait.
It has thrown no codes on a borrowed AutoZone scanner

The truck was almost empty of gas when I bought it. I put 27.5 gallons of 89 octane in it 5 days ago. I also put 5 ozs of Fuel Stabil in when I filled up.

I wish I could describe the noise better. Not very loud. Almost like a symbol on a drum being tapped lightly with a brush for 3-4 seconds then stops, the kaput.
I'm wondering if its fuel pump or wiring related.
I love this truck but don't like getting stuck in traffic very well.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

rap on the cat converter with a hammer. See if it rattles, if it does, it's done.

next time it is reluctant to start, mash the gas to the floor, and hold it there. See if it starts.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Rapping on Catalytic converter

Thanks for suggestion. The Cat. is gone! Theres a tube where it used to be.
I wonder what that noise I hear is.
I'll try the mashing to the floor. I'm wondering if the gas sitting for so long hasn't caused a filter problem. 800 miles since 2008!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, the cat certainly isn't the problem then. Might be a heat shield rattling there, but, my guess would be, it is an effect, not a cause.

How many miles on your truck? Wouldn't be surprised if the cam or crank sensor weren't preparing to go belly up.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:16 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Strange noise then stall

Hello,
My 1996 Ram Magnum 6cyl. 3.9L has 77,910 miles. A guy drove it to and from work about 25 miles round trip for 10 years.

Could it be contaminated fuel since it was almost empty and sat since 2008?

It seems to be getting better. I may drop the tank tomorrow and replace the fuel filter. Too bad I just filled it up to the top. The rattling noise comes from where the fuel pump is and lasts 2-3 seconds, stops, then the engine stops.

I had a blast tightening the mirrors so the wind doesn't blow them shut.!! I can give a tutorial on my model year. Its different from the posts I've read on here.

thanks for any and all suggestions.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Weird sound

It almost sounds like a small motor running for a few seconds, it quits, then the truck dies.

Would computer updates from the dealer help?

Would a large service shop or a Dodge dealers service shop have better diagnostics. Or should I keep trying myself. I enjoy replacing parts.

The speedometer doesn't work so I replaced the VSS and still have no speedometer. Could this play a role?

Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

May be a failing fuel pump. Next time it quits, thump the bottom of the gas tank under the pump, and see if it starts back up.

Filter is part of the fuel pump module. Better to replace the whole thing, considering the cost of the filter/regulator..... (get delphi, or equivalent pump, skip the airtex. Unless you like dropping the gas tank.....)

Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Mashing pedal to the floor WORKS

next time it is reluctant to start, mash the gas to the floor, and hold it there. See if it starts.[/QUOTE]

Hello,
The truck seems to die after it warms up.(not overheating hot)
It wouldn't start with a tap to the gas pedal.
But when I mash it to the floor today, the truck started and idled fine for a while.
What does this portend if anything?
Thanks,
Torx

Old 05-21-2014, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Was it idling rich? (black smoke)

Tends to imply getting TOO MUCH fuel. May be the TPS is out of spec, (but, resetting the PCM should have dealt with that..... maybe....) or, coolant temp sensor is going bad. (or, simply a bad connection.)

If you have some variety of scan tool, you can check both of those without too much trouble. (read the raw data.) If not, an analog multimeter works best for testing TPS. I don't know what the 'correct' values vs. temp are supposed to be for the sensor, but, I am sure there is a chart out there on the web somewhere.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Exclamation Peddle Masher

I put a fairly low end AutoZone OBDII scanner on the truck and it just gave me temperature at 170 degrees. Its a cheap scanner. I have a real time Bluetooth module and software on the way, thanks to another poster. Maybe it will give me more information.
I'm grateful to you for suggesting that I can mash the pedal to restart after a stall. I feel secure enough to take it to a authorized repair shop now that I know that I probably won't be stalled and blocking traffic again.lol
I finally replaced the IAC with a BWD (Borg Werner I think) with a lifetime warranty. BWD is the only warranted IAC I could find in town. The Mopar brand was fairly expensive and had a 3 day lead time.
I plan on dropping the tank and putting a new fuel filter and fuel pu in place as this truck has sat for 8 years.
I have an analog multimeter and a digital one, so I will use my new service manual and scanner tool to investigate the events pertaining to the fluid temps as you mentioned.
Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome and thanks to those who have replied to my posts

Quick Reply: 96 Ram stalls and won't start. Strange noise.