2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:15 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
Neither unfortunately. I loosened both straps to the point of falling off, put my knee under the rear end of the tank and took that strap off. Then held the forward end with my arm and took that strap off. Once the tank was loose I set the rear on the ground so I could turn enough to reach the fittings on top. With the fittings off on top I set the tank in my lap, then wiggled out from under it and pulled the tank out from under the truck with me ( stock 97 1500 4X4), had to lift the side a little to make it clear.
I had the tank on the ground in 10 minutes. It then took me an hour to get the lock ring off, then over 2 hours to muscle the tank back in by reversing what I stated earlier.
This was all done in a gas station parking lot, with tools that I carry with me all the time. A jack would have been nice, but all I had was the factory jack, with no hardware to run it ( I had bought the truck.about a week before).
Wow...Thats roughly 165 pounds. There is no limit to what an irritated human can do, especially when it's your only ride available. I am guessing that you were slightly irritated.!!! Change your screen name to Hercules and thanks for the inspiration.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Speedometer update

Just a brief update. Yesterday I was tracing the source of a small leak under the drivers side dash area. Near where the parking brake and the hood release cable pass through the firewall is a bundle of wires leading up into the dash. I wiggled this bundle and basically unplugged and replugged all the connectors in that area. And voila, my speedometer started working. And as you all mentioned, it didn't make my truck run better. It did make me happy and I did the speed limit all over town.

Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Interesting. Yet the odometer was working previously? That seems really strange.... they both get signal from the same wire......

Old 06-11-2014, 10:30 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Another update

Got in my truck today and speedometer isn't working at all.
I wiggled all the same wires plus a few extra, and it still isn't working.
The odometer and trip meter has always worked.
Perhaps whatever device, servo motor as suggested, is just old and crusty, and started randomly working?
Is it a servo that moves the speedometer pointer itself?
The voltages at the VSS all check out. and my OBDII scanner has a speed sensor monitor as well as a dashboard function that both show correct speeds when connected and moving.
is it very difficult to get into the instrument cluster?
Keep in mind, my dashboard is cracked bad enough that it has a custom cover on it that comes off easily.

Old 06-12-2014, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't know of any sources for individual components in the cluster. 99% of the time, the entire cluster is simply replaced.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:02 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Oh boy

I will have to wait and see if it starts working on it's own again.
Instrument clusters can't be inexpensive.
My $10 scan tool has a "dashboard" application that shows speed and RPM along with 4 other functions. And a dozen other sensor's data is available.
Maybe the warmer weather brought it alive and its getting ready to be really toasty until October in my part of the country.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Buying one new would probably be prohibitively expensive.... They seem to be fairly common on Ebay.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:34 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

HeyYou, do you know of the clusters were the same through this era? I.E., 97 5.9 magnum w/auto versus his 96?

Old 06-13-2014, 02:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I *think* they are all the same from 94 to 97. Only difference being with, or without tach, and maybe a bulb or two pulled. (shift light for autos, and wait to start light from diesels)

Old 06-13-2014, 09:37 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default 96 Ram Info

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I *think* they are all the same from 94 to 97. Only difference being with, or without tach, and maybe a bulb or two pulled. (shift light for autos, and wait to start light from diesels)
Thanks HeyYou. I should be saying thanks again.
My truck is automatic without a tach. The fuel gauge to the left of speedometer is either pegged on full until about 100 miles, then its pegged on empty! LOL
I assume that it's a float-electronic device that way out of spec. I'd love to even try to replace the servo, or at least have a look at it. I'm a solder veteran.!

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work