2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cummins Swap to 1/2 ton

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 06:09 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins Swap to 1/2 ton

Yes... You read the title correctly. If people are going to rant to me about how I should just sell my 1/2 ton, and by a cummins 3/4 you're not gunna convince me. I've talked with 2 people who have done this, an read more than a few forums, and its not cheaper or more practical. One guy even has stock front-end stuff and axels and everything's still fine 30000 miles later. I can get everything I need for about 3k. I'm getting close to buying the engine and tranny, and got a few technicalities to get in order.

1) Since I will be using stock axels, what about front and rear driveshafts? Can I keep stock (pretty sure cant) or will not even the 2500 ones fit it? I want to run the nv4500 and tcase. (I know I will have to change tranny cross member mount)

2) I can just replace gauge cluster that correlates with engine harness, and that will have all of the proper gauges and connections to them? I don't need to replace my internal wiring harness...would I?

3) Some people keep stock radiator/tranny cooler. Idk if I else's one is different. Can I keep gasser radiator/trans cooler?

4) A 5.9 12v will sit right nicely onto the 5.9 gasser mounts? I know a 12v is massive compared to the gasser, just wondering if ill be lucky in not having to fab up mounts for it. Anyone?

I want to build a truck that's different than all those 2nd gens out there. I think having a dodge pull up next to me and then see "ram 1500 12v cummins turbo diesel" on the badging would be the sickest thing ever. At 18yrs old me and my buds 4wd swapped this truck in about 15-18 hrs, so difficulty isn't the issue. Thanks everyone for replies! I DO plan on writing this up with many photos maybe even video log, not sure!

Old 09-10-2014, 06:19 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its way better to convert than try to sell and buy, i have done many cummins conversions, i dont have much time right now but i will try to get back soon, in the mean time, look up my 4bt swap i just did in the 99 sport, escentially its the same thing but yours will be even eaiser, my 1500 drive shaft went into the cummins trans perfectly, the axles will survive with out any huge loads, the motor mounts will bolt in, your gauges will work from the gas engine, you can install diesel version cluster if you want, and a year correct PCM and engine harness will have you up and going, plus much more obviously

Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to swap one in my half ton one day.. But I probably couldn't use my lift and everything..

Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ChillyPhil
I would love to swap one in my half ton one day.. But I probably couldn't use my lift and everything..
Sure you could, just have to beef up those axle's really good.

Do it so you can tow something big enough to justify flipping up those tow mirrors.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:54 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Knowing what I do of the cummins area. Im not sure on the mounts as the 12 is a long block so the mounts might be moved so its more balanced. You need to run a dana 60 front axle. You will need heavier springs and id upgrade to Hd front end parts(ball joints,track bar,tie rod ect) This can all be bypassed with the dana 60 out of a v10 or diesel. The cummins weighs around 1,100lbs so its far from light. That will put a lot of stress on the front end. Now rear axle you will need at least a dana 70. I prefer the dana 80 as i've saw a lot of people tear up a 70(especially if you are gonna mod it and hot rod around) Sure you can get by with the bare minimum but I personally wouldnt. I would want a truck that I can beat on and not really worry if any of the parts are gonna hold up. Also beware that the nv4500 on these trucks have a 5th gear nut issue and depending on previous life will determine if you wanna fix it. Also another issue to look at is fixing the killer dowel pin on the engine. The name says it all.

You will need the pcm/bcm what ever you wanna call it. Its easier to have a 2500 parts truck at your disposal. Unless you are getting a heck of a deal on everything you usually wont be able to do this swap for 3k. Engine and tranny go for that much alone.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

So mainly just axles is the most important thing for the swap? How's the engine and tranny drop in? Mounts the same?

And I would love to keep my lift on but are the lift coils the same as diesel lift coils?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the springs would fit. But I would guess the rates would be way too soft considering you would then have over a half ton engine on top of them.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

So mainly just axles is the most important thing for the swap? How's the engine and tranny drop in? Mounts the same?

And I would love to keep my lift on but are the lift coils the same as diesel lift coils?
the engine and trans will bolt in, some trans may require a different crossmember but most dont, the coils will work just fine, it may sit a little lower, but you always add a spacer/leveling kit to the top to bring them back to the correct height

Old 09-12-2014, 11:36 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

This doesn't sound too hard besides acquiring the parts. What's the catch?

Old 09-12-2014, 12:04 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

This doesn't sound too hard besides acquiring the parts. What's the catch?
theres no real catch, everything will litterally bolt in, the only real catch is aquiring all the parts, its the little stuff that will nickle and dime you to death if you dont have a parts rig

Quick Reply: Cummins Swap to 1/2 ton