2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High beam indicator stays on ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
tot64
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never know what kind of fixes you will find on here. I got aftermarket headlights awhile back and the high beam indicator would stay on all the time and the foglights would not come on because of the high beam indicator. Now its fixed! Thanks fellas

Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=1998 rollover;3214166]To unregistered user (champion) Thank You !

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

Originally Posted by 1998 rollover
Works properly now, EXCEPT the dims are excessively dim???
It seems a good time to check the grounds, and to probe with a voltmeter to see what's happening at the lamps themselves when measured from the ground pin (not chassis, but inside the plug) and the low beam pin with low beams on, and for reference, with high beam selected, from the ground pin to the high beam pin.

Old 03-17-2022, 03:58 PM
Markcorb
Default Similar problem.

Originally Posted by 1998 rollover
1998 ram 2500 Diesel. High beam indicator stays on all the time. The headlights will dim but indicator stays on high beam. Also, when lights are on dim they are Very dim like they aren't getting enough current ? I have tried cleaning every ground I can find. Any help would be great. Also it has the 9004 bulbs which from what I can find is what it is supposed to have? Thanks
I am having a similar problem. I put new led 9004/HB1 high and low beam headlight bulbs in my 2002 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins and now the high beam indicator on the cluster is always on. Even on low beams. The high beams do not work, and weirdly enough instead of the high beams coming on when they are turned on, the high beam indicator on the cluster is illuminated brighter. This all started after I changed the bulbsAny help would be very much appreciated it’s driving me crazy.

Old 03-17-2022, 05:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Markcorb
I am having a similar problem. I put new led 9004/HB1 high and low beam headlight bulbs in my 2002 Dodge ram 2500 Cummins and now the high beam indicator on the cluster is always on. Even on low beams. The high beams do not work, and weirdly enough instead of the high beams coming on when they are turned on, the high beam indicator on the cluster is illuminated brighter. This all started after I changed the bulbsAny help would be very much appreciated it’s driving me crazy.
you need to switch the wires around either on the bulb side or the truck side

Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 PM
Markcorb

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
you need to switch the wires around either on the bulb side or the truck side
sorry I’m really new to this stuff. Which wires are you talking about?

Old 03-17-2022, 11:00 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Markcorb
sorry I’m really new to this stuff. Which wires are you talking about?
High and low beam wire. Chinese bulbs have them reversed. Download the FSM from the FAQ section wiring diagrams are in 8W front lighting I belive is 8W-50

Old 03-18-2022, 07:52 AM
Markcorb

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
High and low beam wire. Chinese bulbs have them reversed. Download the FSM from the FAQ section wiring diagrams are in 8W front lighting I belive is 8W-50
so your saying it could just be the bulbs that are the reason. I’d rather replace the bulbs for something that’s actually wired right and doesn’t give me this problem, rather than having to go through and switch the wiring just to keep these cheap bulbs. The bulbs were from Amazon and were only like $20 so it’s possible they are just junk bulbs.

unless what your saying is I can pop out the two wires from the connector and flip them in the right order and put them back in and that will do it. I will include the picture of my exact plug for example. I don’t currently have a picture of them in person but I’m hoping the online picture will help.

as you can see I have a red wire, a yellow wire and a black wire. They are all able to pop out if I tried. Which wires would I switch?

Last edited by Markcorb; 03-18-2022 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,280 Likes on 3,027 Posts

You should be able to just switch wires in the connectors on the bulbs, and be good to go. Check the wiring diagrams for which wires to switch.

The following users liked this post:
Markcorb (03-18-2022)
Old 03-18-2022, 03:35 PM
Markcorb

So what I found when I looked at the wiring diagrams for 9004 type bulbs is that the high beam wire and low beam wire are the two wire on the left when the flat side of the connector of the bulb is facing down. So in this case it would be the red wire and yellow wire by looking at the connectors on the bulbs I’m dealing with here. So I’m going to swap those out when I get the chance and write back with results. I really hope it works!

Old 03-23-2022, 05:48 PM
Markcorb

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You should be able to just switch wires in the connectors on the bulbs, and be good to go. Check the wiring diagrams for which wires to switch.
finally got around to switching those wires I mentioned and nothing changed. Switched them on both bulbs to make sure and still the same results..

Quick Reply: High beam indicator stays on ?