2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck died after car wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 05:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

If it ran good before it got wet, then it should still run good. You have missed a trick somewhere. Take the distributor cap OFF, along with the rotor. Dry them out with a rag, and have a look at the distributor itself. Make sure that is dry as well. (may wanna lift the cam sensor off, and look under it.)

Old 02-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Mygoldn
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying a new cat tomorrow to see if it will help

Old 02-19-2015, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Don't just throw money at it, hoping you will eventually get it right. That gets expensive in a hurry. If you think the cat may be bad, pull the front O2 sensor out of the exhaust, and see if the engine runs any better.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:53 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't just throw money at it, hoping you will eventually get it right. That gets expensive in a hurry. If you think the cat may be bad, pull the front O2 sensor out of the exhaust, and see if the engine runs any better.
Seriously, this. Stop throwing parts at it and diagnose the issue. You need to go through the troubleshooting steps before buying parts, otherwise you're just chucking money at it. Especially when you start swapping cats and stuff, it gets to be big $$$$$. If you have a IR thermometer, diagnosing the cat is a simple task. Also, like HeyYou said, you can try pulling an O2.

Think methodically about the issue here. What started the issue? What's changed since then. I don't recall, but didn't you do something with the Distributor cap? Are you sure it's all put back together properly?

Did you check/change the oil yet? At minimum, check it and see if it smells like gas at all. Gas does not lubricate well, so when mixed with oil, you might as well be dumping water into your crankcase from a lubrication point.

I'm sure you're a little anxious and frustrated about this, but you're going to spend way more money and time chuckin' parts if you don't diagnose the issue.

Strange that we always seem to have time to do things twice, but never enough time to do things right the first time

Old 02-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

Sorry. I should of said the new cat was free. I told them it was clogged and it had a 5yr warranty on it so I figured id try it. All the things now are pointing to a clogged cat since I fixed the misfire. I bet I fouled it bad by trying to start it without a spark then running it with a misfire. If it doesn't work il investigate more. The clanking might be from the clog

Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

And it only took me about 20 min to take the old cat out and the new one with help should go about as fast. I get a new cat out of it so I figured y not

Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

Also I did take the cap off to see how it was. Everything seemed fine. It was dry and almost no oxidation. So I cleaned it up and put it back on

Old 02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

I just put on the new cat. That was definitely it. I took the old one off and a bunch of dust and parts of the honeycomb fell out. Seems to run good now

Old 02-20-2015, 03:55 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Mygoldn
I just put on the new cat. That was definitely it. I took the old one off and a bunch of dust and parts of the honeycomb fell out. Seems to run good now
Sounds like that may have been a separate issue to the truck dying after car wash. Good find none the less since it sounds like that fixed your problem. How old was the cat? This was a replacement cat you once replaced, right?

That may also explain the metal bits you thought you may have been seeing as well.

Last edited by issakar; 02-20-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: mo betta
Old 02-20-2015, 04:05 PM
Mygoldn
Professional

Yes. It was less than a year old. Was still new looking in some spots. I'm thinking it had to do with not doing my plenum right away when I replaced it before. And then trying to start it with no spark probly finally killed it

Quick Reply: truck died after car wash