2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

key switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM
atvtrailer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key switch problem

96 dodge ram 1500 ext cab 4x4. Truck was fine last night. Got in the truc this morning and went to turn the key and it clicked and then would spin loose. Pulled the key tubmler out and found the end of the tumber had broke. Got a new tumbler and installed and still wont turn over. I only partly get key on power also. Stereo and gauges work but no windows and abs and air bag light are on also. I can start the motor with the key on and using a jump button on the starter. I have checked all fuses by driver door panel and under hood. Drivers window is down and wont go up and its also my daily driver for work. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Check the connector at the ignition switch. That's where darn near everything gets power from.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Pulled the key tubmler out and found the end of the tumber had broke. Got a new tumbler and installed and still wont turn over.
Did you remove the broken tab? I had the same think happen in mine. Check the position of the tumbler when you install it. It was a pita to get it in right.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:10 AM
Evlerni

My 97 is doing the same thing. Key tumbler did not break though. I installed the new Ignition switch, and still nothing. Have all the proper power at the harness, but the truck is acting like the neutral safety switch might be bad. I am still going through everything to see if I can figure this puzzle out. It really does not make any sense at all...

Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Does the ignition switch go into the crank position? If not it's probably not in correctly. Turn the key to crank and move the gear shifter out of gear a bit to see if starts to crank. If so there is you problem.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:18 PM
Evlerni

Mine does. Power works fine up to the point of the switch, where it just stops. And I have swapped out the ignition 5 times now. I have quite literally gotten to the point where I am seriously thinking about just rewiring the switch harness and adding a start button.

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

[QUOTE Power works fine up to the point of the switch, where it just stops.][/QUOTE]
So you are saying it will not turn to the crank position? If you remove the lock cylinder you will see the part that must turn inside the steering column. You can turn it with needle nose pliers or something and it will turn to start. See if you can do this, If not you may have another problem. The problem i had was getting everything lined up to work correctly. Are you able to put the screw in to hold the lock in place?

Old 02-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Evlerni

Here is what I have figured out and managed to fix today.
The ignition switch had gone bad, so I ended up getting a new one. BUT....that was not the only issue, there were several.
After replacing the switch, had no crank. Turns out that on this particular vehicle, the power travels into the switch, back out of the switch into the PDC, and from there back to the switch, further going back out again to the starter relays, windows, etc.
PDC uses cartridge type 40amp fuses. These can actually blow without looking like they are bad. Turns out that I had a bad one that was labled Eng RUN. In fact it is the ignition, not the engine run. Replaced that, ignition switch works fine, truck starts right up.
However, I have a further problem. No turn signals now. I went ahead and replaced the turn switch assembly, it was pretty old and worn out, but that is not the problem. Going to spend some time researching the pin out on this switch so I can trace the wires and figure out where the fault is.
Will let you know what I figure out.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Evlerni

Sometimes it is the simplest things that can keep us running around in circles.
Turn signals was a really simplistic thing. The under dash flasher relay was burned out. Did not think about that because the hazards still worked, but they are apparently on a separate relay.
All problems fixed!
So, in review:
1: Ignition issue was a 40A cartridge fuse, cost me $4
2: Turn signals was a burned out relay...certain to be cheap, I just pulled the hazard and used that until I get a chance to go to the parts store.
All up and running now

Quick Reply: key switch problem