2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

trans cooler line recall question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Ok, that one worked. The line going to the bottom fitting on the radiator is easily replaceable. (for certain values of 'easy'....) The other line, coming from your aux cooler, I can tell if there is a threaded nut where it hits the steel line going back to the trans, or not...... if not, and you want to solve that leak there, just cut the steel line, do what you have to to the other end of it, to get it out, and replace it with some hose rated for trans fluid, and double clamp it on both ends. (I flare the end of the steel line a bit as well, to prevent the hose from simply blowing off.)

Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the one that is leaking is the one coming out of the bottom of the rad. as you can see its a healthy leak. the foremost connection looks to be a compression fitted seal of some sort, and the back connection (rubber to steal) looks to be a threaded nut seal.
i also called the dealership, left a message, they never called back so i just stopped in. the guy was pissed and seemed irritable that i was asking about a recall, looked up my vin, smashed his keyboard a little bit lol standing there squinting at the computer screen and goes there is no recall for 97 ram 1500 and says something about ppl on the internet lol i just left. think i might try another dealership.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:40 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hose that`s leaking on your truck is the one that has the check valve in it. Its recommended by many here that you remove that check valve, because it can become plugged and cause the transmission to fail from lack of fluid flow.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:06 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what can i do to make a secure connection between that rad to the line? i sure do not want my trans to fail on me.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

There are a couple DIY fixes in the FAQ/DIY section here. I just got 8 inches of trans line, and four clamps. Works fine.

Quick Reply: trans cooler line recall question