2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

FINALLY got my new (to me) transmission installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 02:13 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the cable set as far as I can tell is correct. There is not lag on that cable when applying throttle. Still shifting erratically. 3rd is rough. How in the world do people have theirs shift at 4 and 5k and not at least be worried about blowing the engine? Mine sounds like its trying to come out from under the hood and whining like it has a supercharger on it.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:02 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eddiekimberly
I got the cable set as far as I can tell is correct. There is not lag on that cable when applying throttle.
But is the throttle valve at the transmission end of the cable fully closed when the throttle is fully closed? If the throttle valve is partially open, it's telling the transmission that you're deeper into the pedal than you are, which will increase transmission pressures -- resulting in higher shift points and harder shifts. The hot ticket is to unclip the top side at the throttle body, manually close the valve (via the linkage) at the bottom end, then adjust the TV cable at the top side to dead neutral with neither slack nor tension.

Originally Posted by eddiekimberly
How in the world do people have theirs shift at 4 and 5k and not at least be worried about blowing the engine?
Mine just spools up and goes like it enjoys stretching its legs, with not a worry in the world. Mopar small blocks in good running order still have plenty of headroom left when the (stock) PCM limits them at 5200RPM. If it flies apart at that speed it was on its last leg anyway.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:07 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional

Ok. That is on my short list of things to check. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:52 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional

Checked the other end of the tv cable and the valve at the transmission end is all the way forward. Maybe it could be the front band out of adjustment? I am running low on thoughts. Have noticed that it seems to shift better when cold, then as it warms up, the 2nd-3rd shift point seems to stretch out gradually, till it hits the ~3500 rpm.

Last edited by eddiekimberly; 04-04-2015 at 07:51 PM. Reason: new details
Old 04-05-2015, 04:32 PM
eddiekimberly
Professional

Seems to be getting a bit better. Now I can get it to shift into 3rd at a good RPM by backing off the gas just a bit. Passenger can't even feel it, its so light. Maybe it just sat up a while before I got it and is getting its groove back. Just on case I got a pump to pump out the fluid in case I have to drop the pan again and replace the governor pressure solenoid/sensor. I still have my old trans and I can use the GPS and sensor from it. They are known to be good.

Quick Reply: FINALLY got my new (to me) transmission installed