2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

speed sensor conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 PM
CHYZDAD
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im in florida.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Oh.... so much for that thought. Shipping would be inordinately expensive.....

Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 PM
CHYZDAD
Amateur

Im gonna opt for the wire harness swap with pcm...i sourced a cpl on ebay...sketchy i know...now the pcm/ecu will be another story...im going to try a 97 setup and a 98 setup...unless both are the same. Now given the information you provided i shld be able to narrow it down with doing just those 2. Gonna have a long weekend comin up i can already tell

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The 98 and up setup is completely different from the 96-97. It gets far more complicated, as the newer systems use a central timer module (basically, a hub) to communicate between all the various systems on the truck, including the instrument cluster. You would also end up changing EVERYTHING inside the truck as well..... (dash, wire harness, cluster, etc.) Major pain.

Stick with the older version of OBDII, and the only harness you need to change is for the engine/trans, and the com port inside the truck. (not sure how much of an ordeal that will be......) You will also want a PCM from a 96 or 97 truck....... Should be able to score one at the junkyard.....

Grab service manuals from here. Get the 95, and the 96, that way, you can compare wiring diagrams, and see if there are any other differences that you will need to attend to.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 PM
CHYZDAD
Amateur

Ok...well after a little cleaning and searching...motor and trany are bith from a 98...just my luck, and so now i have the ultimate question...knowing i have a 46re trans...is it possible to just purchase a stand alone tcm for the trans? Price difference will be abt thesame if i swap pcm and full wire harness out

Old 06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Not that I have ever found. There was a member working on one at one point, but, he seems to have fallen off the site.

Problem is, in 98, a lot changed, including how some of the instruments work.... Something from a 96 or 97 would be an easier swap.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:55 PM
CHYZDAD
Amateur

I really should retitle this thread...lol

Ok...new issue...and it happened quick. I now have a metal on metal grinding noise that only happens when decelerating. And it's loud. In park no noise. Put it in first no noise..while not moving...accelerate no noise..let off gas...sounds like I'm killing cats.

I may say fk it and just find a fully rebuilt rebuilt tranny I can bolt up. Down side is that's 1500 out of pocket..core is 400.

Worry abt the transfer case and such later. Run straight 2x and work on getting everthing else fixed first.

Last edited by CHYZDAD; 06-09-2015 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-10-2015, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can you tell where the noise is coming from? Think I would be tempted to check the snap-ring on the output shaft to the t-case too.... that can cause some truly awful things to happen.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:19 AM
shawnsack
Rookie

Im having a similar problem. So without hijacking the thread id just like to ask, so there is no way to convert the older style trucks to pick up speed from the rear abs sensor instead of the sensor on the trans??

Old 06-11-2015, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by shawnsack
Im having a similar problem. So without hijacking the thread id just like to ask, so there is no way to convert the older style trucks to pick up speed from the rear abs sensor instead of the sensor on the trans??
Need to know what signals the various sensors put out. Might be able to modify the signal to what the PCM expects from the sensor that isn't there.... But, I don't have that information, and not sure where to find it. (FSM?)

Quick Reply: speed sensor conversion??