2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd indicator light always on

Old 06-30-2015, 05:31 PM
Fortin_joey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd indicator light always on

2001 ram 2500 sport diesel 4wd indication light always on, I have checked the indicator switch on cad and working, I have also tried unplgin the cad 2 switch wires and light still on, I have also unplugged it just in front of the ac pump before going into the main harness and light still on, my 4wd does engage and disengage as it should, both wires going to the cad are grounded... Where is a common place for these wires to short? What am I missin?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Grab the 01 service manual from this thread. have a look at the wiring diagrams...... Seems strange that you light stays on all the time.... gotta be a short somewhere though....

Looks like the wiring coming from the indicator in the cluster is powered, and the switch just grounds the circuit. Unfortunately, that means anywhere along that wire, it could be grounding out.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:29 PM
Fortin_joey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked and looked for a service manual or even just a wiring diagram for that and couldn't find anything, from what I understand the indicator switch is a ground wire, just knowing what wire is grounded to chassis would help lots! And Id be guessing the other wire would go up to the cluster? Knowing what wire is shorting and where it goes I could try passing a new wire

Old 06-30-2015, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Originally Posted by Fortin_joey
I've looked and looked for a service manual or even just a wiring diagram for that and couldn't find anything, from what I understand the indicator switch is a ground wire, just knowing what wire is grounded to chassis would help lots! And Id be guessing the other wire would go up to the cluster? Knowing what wire is shorting and where it goes I could try passing a new wire
Ooops. I neglected to put in the link. Sorry 'bout that.

Find your service manual in PDF format Here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4wd indicator light always on