2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 Indy Without Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:10 AM
rampulstilskin
Rookie
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '96 Indy Without Headlights

Owned the truck for 15 years and have never had electrical issues but now my headlights and dash lights do not work. The fuse appears fine (I had never opened the fusebox before!).

For the last couple of years, the check engine light has come on and I would disconnect the battery and it would solve the problem for months at a time. It is on now.

156000 miles and I have only replaced the water pump and the fuel pump primer is not working.

Any suggestions before I take it in?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Have a look at the connector for the headlight switch.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

Yes, They are notorious for melting. Wow another person here that has an Indy! That makes a total of two(to my knowledge). Lets see some pics.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:13 PM
rampulstilskin
Rookie

I will check the harness and then the switch and let you folks know what I find. It may be a while as I am leaving town for a couple of weeks.

The only repairs that I have done are brake rotors and a recent water pump. Not bad for a 19 year old truck! I cannot help but compare it to my '72 Roadrunner tag I drove from'79 until I parked it in '87. Blown engine, u-joints, starters, alternators, points, condensers and all manor of wiring issues. Glad they don't build them like that anymore!

Moparite-You may not like this but I had my truck painted Blitz Black last year as the paint had all peeled off of the hood and roof...except for the stripes. Probably a result of the intense Colorado sun and the fact that it is, unfortunately stored outdoors. I had paint estimates ranging from $4000-$7000 which I could not afford on a $3500 truck. I expect the truck to appreciate someday and maybe then I can restore it to it's rightful glory.

Last Friday, I saw a cherry Indy on Highway 14 in Sterling. It has been a number of years since I have seen an Indy or a Sport on the road. It had a rear bumper. Mine has the roll pan. Are there production numbers?

P.S. I tried to upload photos I took with my Galaxy S2 this morning and the box states "exceeds quota by 3.6mb" ???

Old 07-09-2015, 07:42 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

There where 2802 indy rams produced. I have seen some real bad paint on indys to the point it was down to the metal witch turned to rust. Why anyone would let it get to that is beyond me. Not sure of all those paint prices include but you should be able to get it done for less. especially if you do the prep work witch is a big chuck of the total price. I looked for about 3 years before i found a decent one to buy. Upon delivery i found this behind the seat.

I'm thinking that mine may have have been one of the 150 that where at the track in 96. Still searching for info on this.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 PM
rampulstilskin
Rookie

Is that a bleacher seat cushion?

Thanks for the photo! It appears that they all have lids.

Can you tell me where to find out about the history of the '96 Indy race? Have other makes ever used a "support" truck?

Old 07-11-2015, 11:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Is that a bleacher seat cushion?
That's exactly what it is! I know the ones that where there came with a certificate stating it. Info is sketchy on some of the details. I want to see if there was a dealer brochure just for the indy's because there was no mention of it in the regular ram pick up brochure for that year. You can do a google search and find out most things about them.

http://www.indyram.org/index.html

Old 08-06-2015, 05:50 PM
rampulstilskin
Rookie

Pulled the switch and see no signs of damage, including melting.

Shall I spend under $20 and replace the switch anyway? I see that AutoZone only sells the switch and pigtail for $70.

The lights did not go out while driving but did not turn on when I started it one night.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Need to find out if you are getting power to the lights, and then to the switch.... if you have power at the switch, test the switch. (switch provides ground.)

Old 08-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

I am working on my third headlight switch from autozone. They used to just sell the switch(that was cheaper than everybody else). Now it seems everybody sells them with the pigtails. It you do determine it's the switch dont get it from autozone. Mine is acting up again so have to spend the $$$ for a decent replacement.

Quick Reply: '96 Indy Without Headlights