2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no speedometer,or odometer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Yep, should come on for a few seconds when you first start the truck too...... wonder if the bulbs are gone.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:44 PM
dodgefan99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another point of problem @HeyYou is the center PCM connector. I put new split loom around the wires in my truck, the next day I noticed my speedo wasn't working, my ABS light wasn't on but I went and replaced the speed sensor in the rear axle. Still didn't work, the self diagnostic would throw a code but didn't really narrow it down any. I looked and looked, finally I started checking connections. I pushed in on the PCM cables and bam, started working, bumped it a few months later washing my engine and it went out again, I unplugged and replugged the connectors 15-25 times, no luck. Finally on the last plug it started working, haven't touched since, probably just a bad pin.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:59 PM
goalcrasher13
Amateur

I'm having the same problem with the speedo and the odometer not working. It was working fine till my transfer case went on me. So I went a head and had the tranny rebuilt, it was due, and I rebuilt the tcase. Now that everything is back in my speedo and odometer isn't working. Any ideas? It's a 97 with the 5.9

Last edited by goalcrasher13; 08-20-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:02 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by goalcrasher13
I'm having the same problem with the speedo and the odometer not working. It was working fine till my transfer case went on me. So I went a head and had the tranny rebuilt, it was due, and I rebuilt the tcase. Now that everything is back in my speedo and odometer isn't working. Any ideas? It's a 97 with the 5.9
You had the tranny rebuilt. I would check the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) connection and then the sensor itself and then check the rear axle speed sensor. Also go make a new thread under 2nd Gen Tech. You'll get more replies that way, not many people are gonna dig back through a thread that was fixed a few weeks ago and has suddenly came back to the top.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

@Ryan E 0Meadows, if all of the indicator lights do not illuminate upon the startup of the vehicle then that suggests that you have burned out light bulbs within your instrument cluster.

To repair / replace you will need to remove you dash bezel that surrounds all of the switches and guages on the front of your dash board, You will need to remove the panel under the steering column, and you will need to separate the copper cable that is latched around a steel shifter arm pointing towards the driver door behind that panel under the steering column so that when you unscrew the instrument cluster, the instrument cluster will be able to freely slide foward until it can be removed without getting caught by that cable.

Good Wrenching!

Quick Reply: no speedometer,or odometer