2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no start in park, only neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:15 PM
lisa99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know where I can get parts for the valve body? ballbearing,manual lever?

Old 08-23-2015, 07:20 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Dealer only ?

4617 439
1 J EM0 DGT LEVER, Manual Valve, with Insulator
0147 488 1 J EM0 DGT BALL, Manual Lever Detent, .343
Diameter

One of , if not the best 46RE thread online . Just because

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...torial-911009/

Old 08-23-2015, 01:55 PM
Slomojo
Veteran

Here is a quick test to figure out where your no start in park transmission problem lies.

First things first, lift your truck and support the vehicle safely in the air, and putting blocks under your tires to keep everything from rolling away from you. Disconnect your shifter linkage completely from the shift lever coming out of the transmission and manually move the lever all the way forwards and then all the way back to position the shift lever mechanism in 1st gear or park. The truck should not start in first gear unless you have some other serious issues, so you should try to start the truck in either of those positions and if you find that the truck starts up when the mechanism is in the park position then you will know that your linkage was the culprit. Otherwise you will have discovered that the problem was somewhere internal to the transmission.

As far as I an remember, the parts associated with telling the truck it is in park and it can start are the shifter arms from the steering column, the shift lever bolted to the side of the transmission directly to the part of the valve body that exposes itself outside the transmission, the internal manual lever of the valve body that is actuated by the external shifter linkage, the neutral or park sensor that activates the reverse lights, and the check ball and detent spring.

If everything is is proper order, which is hard to not be since everything, except the shifter lever from the steering column, bolts into place in only on position then you should be able to fix your truck relatively quick. As for that shift lever, once you have the valve body shift lever in place everything else should be a snap. Just take your time.

By the way, all of the shifter linkages should be adjustable from outside of the transmission. The rod that drops down along the firewall from the steering column will meet a rod that comes from the transmission just behind the front driver side wheel. Provided your shifter rod is not bent too far out of shape, then all of the adjustment you would need should be right there near your firewall under your steering column.

Junkyards are seldom in short supply of valve bodies as well as the parts for them.

Find yourself a pick a part yard, bring some tools and pull what you need out of a grand cherokee, dodge ram van, dodge dakota, dodge ram, or even a late model chrysler sedan. Most any of the valve bodies that those vehicles have within them should have compatible parts. If the price was right, I would just pick up a spare valve body altogether so that there were lots of spare parts along the way.

Last edited by Slomojo; 08-23-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:19 PM
JY Vandever
Default 1999 2500 dodge van

Originally Posted by onegoodmason
I looked up the part number for my 46RE in the jeep (only reference I have) , same thing . Lists the part as follows

0271 506 NUT, Hex, .42-20

I'd source it from a wrecker myself , dealer probably wants $10+ if in stock . You could try a trans shop , they might have one kickin round .
Van would not shift, and it was obvious that the sifter cable was damaged. Soooo, R and R, simple i thought !!! Van stqrted before cable replace but would not shift, now Van will shift but will not start!! HELP!!

Old 01-26-2020, 06:59 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by JY Vandever
Van would not shift, and it was obvious that the sifter cable was damaged. Soooo, R and R, simple i thought !!! Van stqrted before cable replace but would not shift, now Van will shift but will not start!! HELP!!

Most likely , you have an adjustment issue with the cable that is not putting the gear perfectly in park . This prevents the signal from the neutral safety switch to allow your starter to engage on request .

With your foot on the brake , turn the key ahead and pull the gear selector thru the gears to see if the starter engages . Be prepared and make sure nothing is close front and back . This should not be 'risky' but , safety first . Lift the rear wheels if you feel uncomfortable .
You can also try 'slamming' it into park to see if that is enough to put the shifter in position . That would mean a very minor adjustment to correct things
Put it in neutral , and wiggle the shifter while trying a start

That's a few things to try for you , good luck and post back the results

Quick Reply: no start in park, only neutral