2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NEW 47re wont shift

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 08:18 AM
groenberg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Is the CEL on?
Nope, only trans temp and the od off button that cant be turned off.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I suspect a year mis-match. The symptoms your describe are exactly what you would get if you used 2000 or newer sensors, on a 99 or older truck. The wiring is exactly the same, the voltage values that the sensors return is what is different.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:52 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I suspect a year mis-match. The symptoms your describe are exactly what you would get if you used 2000 or newer sensors, on a 99 or older truck. The wiring is exactly the same, the voltage values that the sensors return is what is different.
Yes that is what I suspected. On the new tranny, it was written -99 on it. What is the easiest way to fix this, and how do i know that this is the problem? I read that you can put a resistor (100 or 1000 ohm i dont remember) on the cabel that goes to the tranny temp sensor to fix this problem. But im not sure about that either.

Edit: just ran the code reader. Had not one single code.. Sounds wierd to me

Last edited by groenberg; 09-10-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't know how much the sensors changed, only that they did. I think the only way to tell for sure, is to drop the pan, and get the numbers off the sensors.... and see what year they are for. Mounting also changed.... and you may be able to find pics that show the differences...... if it is new sensors in old mounts, then they won't read or work properly regardless.... I *think* the only difference is bracket that holds things in place, but, can't swear to that.....

If you have a scanner available, plug it in, get it set up for the truck, and then start the engine. Watch and see what values you get for trans temp. I would expect that it will be wrong.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:15 AM
groenberg
Rookie

I don't know how much the sensors changed, only that they did. I think the only way to tell for sure, is to drop the pan, and get the numbers off the sensors.... and see what year they are for. Mounting also changed.... and you may be able to find pics that show the differences...... if it is new sensors in old mounts, then they won't read or work properly regardless.... I *think* the only difference is bracket that holds things in place, but, can't swear to that.....

If you have a scanner available, plug it in, get it set up for the truck, and then start the engine. Watch and see what values you get for trans temp. I would expect that it will be wrong.
How do you see the values on the scanner? Can you do that regardless of scanner?

Old 09-11-2015, 07:38 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

You need a real scanner, not just a reader. Scanners are more expensive and actually let you "see" what the PCM sees as far as sensor feedback. I have an Actron one.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:21 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You need a real scanner, not just a reader. Scanners are more expensive and actually let you "see" what the PCM sees as far as sensor feedback. I have an Actron one.
Alright i have access to one of those but it only reads volvo and saab. :/

Old 09-11-2015, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by groenberg
Alright i have access to one of those but it only reads volvo and saab. :/
That's not gonna help.

Do the parts store around you have scanners they use to read codes? They *might* be able to see bits of data, and show it to you......

Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 AM
groenberg
Rookie

That's not gonna help.

Do the parts store around you have scanners they use to read codes? They *might* be able to see bits of data, and show it to you......
I'll have to make some calls and see i think. But then i have to borrow it since i can't/don't want to drive the car on 1st gear that far.

I tried do drive it manually today but no luck. 1 gear on 1,2 and D.

The only thing that concerns me, is that when i drive it, it takes just a few minutes for the OD off light to come, and maybe 5-10 minutes after that, the trans temp comes on. Could the temp really be high since it doesn't come on at the same time as the OD off light?

I also took the batteries out, going there later today and see if it helped, but it really feels like a shot in the dark.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think so. I think that is just another indicator that the trans has the wrong electronics in it for your year truck. If you unplug the 8pin connector at the trans, you can manually shift between the first three gears, you won't have O/D, or TCC lockup though.

Quick Reply: NEW 47re wont shift