2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help me

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Deejay Bowland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help me

Hello all i need help, i have a 98 ram 1500 ane i dont know what to do. It will not stay charged and ive changed the battery and alt, and I dont know what to do... please help me.. thank you

Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 PM
draftingmonkey
Captain

I assume from your vague post that you have a battery that is draining down.
Does this occur while driving or when sitting overnight?
When you changed the alternator did you also use a tester to determine if the battery was charging while the vehicle was running? That would tell you if you received a bad alternator or have an issue with the charge circuit.
If it discharges while running without blowing a fuse you may have a short to ground before the fuse box in one of your circuits that is draining the battery
If it discharges overnight, did you check to see if all the lights inside and out are shutting off, including under the hood. Again a short to ground could cause it to discharge.
A cheap meter like this can help in tracing voltage/current issues. http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-96308.html
Please be more specific with your issue. The more information you give us the better the help we can give you

Old 09-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Please be more specific with your issue. The more information you give us the better the help we can give you
X2! MORE INFO!

These don't work either!

Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Moparite
X2! MORE INFO!

These don't work either!

You need to try one of the newer models. They supposedly work better, but, are still pricey.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:51 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

The OP will have to pick up the tab for it! LOL

Old 01-01-2016, 08:28 PM
peterparker3169

Originally Posted by draftingmonkey
I assume from your vague post that you have a battery that is draining down.
Does this occur while driving or when sitting overnight?
When you changed the alternator did you also use a tester to determine if the battery was charging while the vehicle was running? That would tell you if you received a bad alternator or have an issue with the charge circuit.
If it discharges while running without blowing a fuse you may have a short to ground before the fuse box in one of your circuits that is draining the battery
If it discharges overnight, did you check to see if all the lights inside and out are shutting off, including under the hood. Again a short to ground could cause it to discharge.
A cheap meter like this can help in tracing voltage/current issues. http://www.harborfreight.com/digital...ter-96308.html

having an issue similar. when its below 35 degress need to jump start truck. got new battery and still does it. when running the charge is 14.8 haven't really looked at it when off that well. but barely wanted to start last night and battery was 1day old. haven't looked at radio yet but I didn't install it. I never hook the remote wire up. but the funny thing is that in summer the truck started just fine no matter how many days it sat.. please could use some other option?

Old 01-01-2016, 09:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gotta be a draw there somewhere, probably a very minor one.... Cold weather just exacerbates it.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:41 PM
peterparker3169

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gotta be a draw there somewhere, probably a very minor one.... Cold weather just exacerbates it.
there is a ground wire that goes from fire wall to back of engine( or engine itself that isn't connected, wasn't sure where to put it) would that perhaps have something to do with it? reading some of the stuff making a list of what to check. it would have to be a decent draw to not be able to start in 10hrs. but if the battery isn't 12.5 it would be enough to crank. starter does click tho when trying to start truck.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ground wouldn't have anything to do with it, no, unless it were shorting out against something that was hot. (as in, has power)

In the truly cold, it wouldn't need to be all that much of a draw to pull the battery down to the point it couldn't crank the engine...... Check things like the glove box lamp, or underhood lamp, see if they are staying on. (although, I think either of those would suck the battery down in a day or so, even when it was warm.)

Old 01-02-2016, 12:26 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Disconnect the battery over night and see if it starts the next day to see if it is an issue with something drawling the battery down. Might be the battery itself, Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good.