2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Popping / Rumbling on during deceleration, throttle lift, engine braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:31 PM
nickr519
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping / Rumbling on during deceleration, throttle lift, engine braking

Hey All,

Does anyone else's truck make a good rumble out of the exhaust on deceleration or when you let off the throttle? Not loud gunshot popping like a real dirtbike backfire, but definite popping / rumbling which i think is just muffled by the muffler. I'm 97 2500 5.9L 4x4 manual trans, nothing really wrong except drinks a lot of oil that the plenum fix didn't fix. Don't have compression leakdown numbers but I am thinking I will get them soon. I've got a magnaflow cat and possibly muffler but even before I had the magnaflow cat it did this. I will take a video to capture the sound if it doesn't ring any bells for anyone.

Is it normal or mean something is wrong?? The thing passed california smog exhaust sniffer so i can't imagine its very rich, done plug and wires and cap and rotor all recently and it never really misfires or knocks as far as I can tell.

Nick

Old 09-30-2015, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

How old is your O2 sensor? Tested the TPS?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:44 PM
treekiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thrush

Originally Posted by nickr519
Hey All,

Does anyone else's truck make a good rumble out of the exhaust on deceleration or when you let off the throttle? Not loud gunshot popping like a real dirtbike backfire, but definite popping / rumbling which i think is just muffled by the muffler. I'm 97 2500 5.9L 4x4 manual trans, nothing really wrong except drinks a lot of oil that the plenum fix didn't fix. Don't have compression leakdown numbers but I am thinking I will get them soon. I've got a magnaflow cat and possibly muffler but even before I had the magnaflow cat it did this. I will take a video to capture the sound if it doesn't ring any bells for anyone.

Is it normal or mean something is wrong?? The thing passed california smog exhaust sniffer so i can't imagine its very rich, done plug and wires and cap and rotor all recently and it never really misfires or knocks as far as I can tell.

Nick
I had a buddy with a 3.9 cold air, and a thrush muffler. got a lot of compliments on the sound. I actually got one for my ford 302. They sell in Advance auto. They make a nice rumble without the tin-y sound of a Flowmaster, or the ricer smoothness.

Quick Reply: Popping / Rumbling on during deceleration, throttle lift, engine braking