2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mods for Heavy Hauling (12V Cummins, Auto)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 03:48 PM
LordLuciendar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods for Heavy Hauling (12V Cummins, Auto)

I have a 1996 Ram 3500 with a 12V Cummins and a 47RE automatic transmission. One of my business's clients may be having me move around a shipping container that'd put me right up in the 25k-26k range for weight (Truck: 7k; Trailer: 5k; Container: 5k; Payload 8k). The trailer would be a tri-axle 32' gooseneck with a 20' shipping container on it.

What mods would the community suggest I have if I am to do this? Bear in mind that I live in the mountains and would be hauling this over mountain passes with long up and downhill gradients.

Up for consideration currently are:
Airbags (Firestone)
Exhaust Brake (Banks with SmartLock Controller)
Torque Converter Lockup Switch

Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:09 PM
COL
Rookie

Going downhill, brakes may be something you want to look into. Aside from that ensure that all of your fluids are not only full, but in good question. When it comes to a fluid treat it like food in the fridge, when in doubt throw it out. Secondly take a good look at the trailer brakes, make sure they are working and that you have a good reliable connection to the truck.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:12 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on budget, aftermarket tq converter, shift kit (sonnax surecure or transgo sr) and good aux cooler with the check valve in the line deleted.

Brakes and fluids as previously suggested.

If you want more power, depending on budget, there are tons of compound turbo kits out there designed around towing reliably or you can also upgrade the turbo wheel and turn up the fuel a little bit.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Snowfan
Professional

I hauled cattle in those weights and I encourage you to look into turning it up a bit. Your engine will be maxed out in the wind, in the mountains, with that load. Be absolutely sure your brakes are up to the task. Keep your trans cool. Monitor temp of trans and exhaust.

Having written that....piece of cake. You won't be going 70 all the time like the new trucks will, but you won't be out 50 grand either!

Plan ahead. Your trans will not do that forever.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

One thing I have noticed though, you don't really see complaints about the 47R? and 48R? transmissions failing..... I know the trannies are out there, they come behind the diesels, and v-10s....... I regularly see v-10 trucks around here with 300K+ miles on them, still going strong.... (well, engine and trans anyway, the body is about rusted out.)

Are the heavier duty transmissions REALLY that much better???

Old 10-29-2015, 08:30 PM
Snowfan
Professional

Good question. My truck is manual.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:08 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They're stronger but they still have the same electrical gremlins (governor solenoid/transducer for example). Still benefit greatly from a valvebody upgrade and tq converter as well.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:36 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

32' goose tri-axle is only 5k? My 24' tag car hauler was about 6k empty with only 2 axles.

Old 11-01-2015, 07:22 PM
LordLuciendar
Rookie

Originally Posted by horatio102
32' goose tri-axle is only 5k? My 24' tag car hauler was about 6k empty with only 2 axles.
That's certainly a noteworthy point. I'd be buying the trailer as part of the deal, so I was estimating. There was a tri-axle 32' hydraulic tilt for sale used near me. Like most Craigslist trailer listings, the owner didn't know how much it weighed, so I did some research and found a wide range of weights depending on the manufacturer. You're probably right that I'd be looking at a trailer more in the 7000-9000lb range (with that layout), I did find some that were around the 5k mark.

The question remains the same though. If ultimately the weight all combined is under CDL, I will consider upgrading the truck. If it is over, I'll either be looking at a new truck and a CDL (I'd buy an M932) or hiring someone to do the moving. Probably the latter.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:22 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a lot of weight, and judging by my experience towing my trailer (with 7-9k cargo) for a combined weight of about 20k, I'm not sure I'd do it, but it really just depends on how deep your pockets are.

I would want a built trans, good torque converter, exhaust brake, air bags, shorter gearing (I've got 3.55 gears), and more power (twins, injectors), and of course governor and valve springs if you haven't done them yet. And really, instead of the built trans and torque converter, I'd probably do a nv5600 swap.

Plus make sure your frame is spotless, brake lines rust free, make sure the tires are up to snuff, etc.

People do haul heavy like that with these trucks, but I'd feel safer doing it with a f650/kodiak or similar.

Quick Reply: Mods for Heavy Hauling (12V Cummins, Auto)