2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Missing EVAP Canister

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2015 | 12:41 PM
Giro Maccheroni
|
Default Missing EVAP Canister

Welcome your thoughts. Trouble code P0455, large leak pops up along with a couple others. I inspect the lines, get under the truck and guess what. The EVAP canisters are gone. The EVAP lines are just sitting on the bracket that used to hold the canisters. Makes sense there's a large leak.

Swapped out the O2 sensors to to handle that code, reset the computer and all codes go away. I'm waiting for the large leak to make the check engine light to go on again. Anyone have their truck running without EVAP canisters? Ordered the the square canister, not cheap. Have to order the round canister. Worth putting in?

Old 11-06-2015 | 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If only to make the darn lights go off, it's worth it.

Any idea what happened to yours?

Welcome to DF!

Old 11-06-2015 | 06:11 PM
Giro Maccheroni
|

No idea. Got the truck with 90k. I've been able to find the larger square canister very easily. The round cannister I cannot locate anywhere. Any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2015 | 10:25 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran

Originally Posted by Giro Maccheroni
No idea. Got the truck with 90k. I've been able to find the larger square canister very easily. The round cannister I cannot locate anywhere. Any suggestions?
Try a local wrecking yard, or pic n pull is you have one near you.

Old 11-07-2015 | 10:16 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

http://www.car-part.com/

A great tool when you need used parts.

Old 11-08-2015 | 12:01 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

I can't see your location from mobile, but I'm in Northern CA. I have a round can. Just pay shipping and its yours. PM me if interested.

Old 11-08-2015 | 12:22 PM
nicraage
Professional

I hope you don't mind, but since you are checking out your evap system, could you verify something for me?

I think my evap switch was on upside down, which caused my lines to be opposite. Could you verify that my setup is correct in the image? I'm now pulling a p1494 with a bunch of misfires, and I also just replaced by coil, wires and plugs, so I want to make sure I didn't create these errors when I turned my evap switch upright.

Name:  evap%20switch%20with%20arrows.jpg
Views: 7272
Size:  101.7 KB

Old 11-09-2015 | 09:10 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech

The one with the port will always be Canister. The other is Vacuum. There should also be a VAC or CAN etched on one of the Purge Valve ports. If you install it upside down or hoses backwards, you WILL set codes.

Old 11-09-2015 | 02:48 PM
Giro Maccheroni
|

Hit up the local junk yard. Got both canisters for 40 bucks! Installed them and lights off, all set. Sure beats the 100+ for one at autozone.
Thank you all!

Old 11-09-2015 | 06:17 PM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
The one with the port will always be Canister. The other is Vacuum. There should also be a VAC or CAN etched on one of the Purge Valve ports. If you install it upside down or hoses backwards, you WILL set codes.
Thanks. I think they are set correct (although I am pulling a lot of codes that may be unrelated). Just to verify...

The one coming out of the part labeled "VAC", has a "T" in it. one tube goes along the firewall and enters just under my air intake. The second part of the "T" attaches to another larger black item inches away.

The one not labeled "VAC" goes under the car to those two canisters before going to the fuel tank.

Does that sound right

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Missing EVAP Canister