2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Harland Sharp Roller Rockers!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:06 PM
Big Joe C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Harland Sharp Roller Rockers! Help/Info?

Went to Summit Racing today and what do I find on the clearance rack....a bran new set of H&S's for 318/360. They're $400. Got um on the clearance rack for $250! I planned on buying them in the spring for my 318, but I couldn't pass up the deal. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s70037

From my understanding these are the non adjustable ones that bolt right on. I'm not putting them on till the spring because my truck is already put away for the winter. I know before I put them on they need to soak in 30w for 24hrs and to use cam lube on the rollers and push rod cups. I've heard different things but want to know if they'll clear factory valve covers. I'm not putting a cam in, just the rockers. When I did my plenum two years ago I checked out valve train and everything is in great shape. Truck has 125,000 on it. Runs like new. I rigorously maintain it and do not beat on it real hard.

Any advice/tips/tricks from you guys that have put H&S's on their Magnums would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Big Joe C; 11-08-2015 at 06:15 PM. Reason: title change
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Joe C
Went to Summit Racing today and what do I find on the clearance rack....a bran new set of H&S's for 318/360. They're $400. Got um on the clearance rack for $250! I planned on buying them in the spring for my 318, but I couldn't pass up the deal. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csp-s70037

From my understanding these are the non adjustable ones that bolt right on. I'm not putting them on till the spring because my truck is already put away for the winter. I know before I put them on they need to soak in 30w for 24hrs and to use cam lube on the rollers and push rod cups. I've heard different things but want to know if they'll clear factory valve covers. I'm not putting a cam in, just the rockers. When I did my plenum two years ago I checked out valve train and everything is in great shape. Truck has 125,000 on it. Runs like new. I rigorously maintain it and do not beat on it real hard.

Any advice/tips/tricks from you guys that have put H&S's on their Magnums would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
That's a pretty good price, and those are the right ones. They will clear the factory valve covers just fine. Nice find.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:19 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

About 6mnths ago, they were $349 regular price at Summit... still, $250 is good.

And yes, I'm jealous... I could use a set.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, you better enjoy them rockers!! punk! lol

Old 11-09-2015, 12:37 PM
nicraage
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

were there more? I've been contemplating these. Also, will the factory valve covers work even if you have swapped the cam? Thanks

Last edited by nicraage; 11-09-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Big Joe C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol I knew there'd be some jealousy about them. Clearing valve covers, ok great! And no there were no more on the clearance rack. I saw them and figured they were for Chevy's because 90% of the clearance stuff all the time is Chevy intakes and heads. Walked up to them right after a guy was looking at them, saw they were 318/360 and snatched um right up. After I grabbed them I pulled out my phone and went on my Summit account....won'tcha know the ones I had on my wish list were the same part number I was holding in my hand. I felt like I had found the holy grail lmao

Old 11-09-2015, 09:37 PM
nicraage
Professional

Lol I knew there'd be some jealousy about them. Clearing valve covers, ok great! And no there were no more on the clearance rack. I saw them and figured they were for Chevy's because 90% of the clearance stuff all the time is Chevy intakes and heads. Walked up to them right after a guy was looking at them, saw they were 318/360 and snatched um right up. After I grabbed them I pulled out my phone and went on my Summit account....won'tcha know the ones I had on my wish list were the same part number I was holding in my hand. I felt like I had found the holy grail lmao

ha... jealousy is a strong word.... Nice grab. I was just hoping there was a pile of them, and you could make some money off me for picking them up, lol.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:20 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nicraage
were there more? I've been contemplating these. Also, will the factory valve covers work even if you have swapped the cam? Thanks

yes it'll fit but you don't want to use fixed rockers with a custom cam! Get the 1.6 ratio adjustables, and guide plates, and hardened pushrods, and rocker studs to mount them. And no the adjustables will not fit the factory valve covers without cutting the baffle to make room.

Last edited by beeker; 11-09-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:15 AM
nicraage
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
yes it'll fit but you don't want to use fixed rockers with a custom cam! Get the 1.6 ratio adjustables, and guide plates, and hardened pushrods, and rocker studs to mount them. And no the adjustables will not fit the factory valve covers without cutting the baffle to make room.
Thank you for thie info. It looks I have some more research to do. I thought I read 1.6 did not do much for these motors. Is that different for custom cam?

When I did my rebuild, I used the following pusrods. Are they good, or would I need to upgrade again?

Melling Pushrods
MEL-MPR-462
These Melling OEM replacement pushrods are perfect for stock rebuild or mild performance applications where open spring pressures do not exceed 300 lbs. They are manufactured from steel tubing and work well with stock or aftermarket rocker arms.

Mopar Performance Valve Springs
DCC-5249464
Valve Spring, Single, 1.418 in. Outside Diameter, 1.640 in. Installed Height,

Mopar Performance Valve Spring Retainers
DCC-4452032

Old 11-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Adobedude
All Star

If you have a stock cam they will be perfect, As said it's when you get to custom cams non adj rockers are a bitch...Good move on the spring upgrade.

You can run 1.6 or 1.7 rockers with a cam, I've run both....just pick a grind that will work.

Quick Reply: Harland Sharp Roller Rockers!