2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny adjumstment HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Dlinzy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny adjumstment HELP!

Well taking all the notes from previous guru's i attempted to adjust my bands and replace filter and fluid.

Loosened Front adjustment nut and backed off 5 - 6 turns and feeling this would go without a hitch I turned my attention to the pan and rear band adjustment.

Removed pan and replaced filter, loosened adjustment nut and discovered no way fo torquing 5/16" square adjustment bolt.

Using my best brute force judgement i tightented to my best guess and backed off 2 - 2.5 turns.

replaced nut torqued to 30 lbs. replaced pan torqued all nuts to 13 lbs returned to front band.

With some enginuity i got a #30 torx head 1/8 - 1/4 drive convertor, 3" extention torque wrnch set to 60 lbs. and began tightening nut

before i reached the crack over point about 50 lbs i'm guessing in the torque wrench it felt like adjustment bolt broke off what ever it was pushing against inside the tranny, possibly the belt broke ?

Aftert that i backed out the adjustment bolt almost all the way out and began retightening it.

it bottoms out in the tranny housing before getting anywhere close to 72 lbs. and if i follow the guidlelines and take it to 72 then back it out 1 7/8 turns there wont be enought adjustment bolt to lock the retaining nut against?????

Before i fill it with tranny fluid what should i do now????

Please help quickly, or call me at home and i'll call you right back so as to not run up your phone bill.

Denny 972 530 3278

Old 11-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tranny adjumstment HELP!

Did you tighten the band adjustment bolts to 72 ft/lbs or 72 in/lbs? If you went to 72 ft/lbs there may be a problem b/c it was supposed to be inch pounds. You may very well have snapped the band. I would put it back together, fill it with fluid and see what happens. If you broke the band, I would take it to a transmission shop. But that is just my opinion.

Old 11-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Dlinzy

Yep a little difference in ft. vs. In huh.

Tow truck has been called.

Also the Mgr. at Eagle Transmissions in Rowlett said there wasn't any adjustment neccessary as the wear is controlled by the servo and set by the factory???

All that is ever needed is change fluid and filter by the schedule. ??????????

I could just spent a grand on another life lesson.

Dl

Old 11-05-2005, 08:00 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Hope everything works out for you. Let us know what happens.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:08 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Dlinzy

Also the Mgr. at Eagle Transmissions in Rowlett said there wasn't any adjustment neccessary as the wear is controlled by the servo and set by the factory???

Dl
If he says no adjustments are ever neccessary ask him why are there provisions to make them.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Dlinzy

ORIGINAL: charlie1935

If he says no adjustments are ever neccessary ask him why are there provisions to make them.
Hey, I agree with you. That's why i accepted the task.

I've always took the mindset that if you don't at least try you'll never learn.

I just hope they don't find 1000's of dollars of wear and tear over the past 5 years.

For $2K i'd buy a Viper tranny from ASP.

D

Old 11-06-2005, 02:29 AM
REDKNOB
Rookie

You should know, as we all do, it's not IF our tranny's will puke--but WHEN!! Depending on your tech's estimate it may be prudent to buy that tranny you've been looking at and eliminate the fear of when will it fail me.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dlinzy

Dl
Ask him why Dodge states to adjust he bands every 24,000 miles. All automatic transmissions have to be adjusted on a periodic basis.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:44 PM
lAGA

From 2000 on, I believe, new trans were installed. They are electronically controlled by the computer and no manual adjustment is required. Dodge did not update the instructions in the manual so there is some confusion.

Old 11-10-2005, 01:12 AM
badram1500
Veteran

My 2001 46re trans still has provisions for adjusting bands and it does require this service. When the shift solenoids apply or release a band they push on a strut inside the trans. when you adjust the bans you are setting the gap. the solenoids only more so far in the trans. If the solenoids set your band adjustment they would never slip untill the facing was completely worn off. Anyone that has work on these tranys knows this is not the case.

Quick Reply: Tranny adjumstment HELP!