2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Belt tensioner??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM
Bwally1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I would not call replacing a part that does not need to be replaced preventive maintenance. Lol.

If I do this now there wouldn't be the chance of the pcm overcharging my battery or undercharging if it went out. That is preventing problems. Therefore it's preventive

Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Bwally1996
If I do this now there wouldn't be the chance of the pcm overcharging my battery or undercharging if it went out. That is preventing problems. Therefore it's preventive
But, there is no guarantee that the regulator you put in place of the current regulator in the PCM (that is still working....) won't do the same thing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 PM
Bwally1996
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
But, there is no guarantee that the regulator you put in place of the current regulator in the PCM (that is still working....) won't do the same thing.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'll order it but wait till it goes out to put it in

Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

That's preventive purchasing. : )

Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That's preventive purchasing. : )
Which could be a smart move... how many more years do we have before parts certain aren't available.

Old 12-28-2015, 09:37 PM
Bwally1996
Professional

Originally Posted by Spillage
Which could be a smart move... how many more years do we have before parts certain aren't available.
Exactly, the more rare the more expensive

Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Preventative maintenance works for mechanical parts that are nearing the end of their life-cycle: tie-rod ends, ball joints, shocks, rotors, O2 sensors, water pumps, spark plugs and plug wires, belts, and the like. Items like the water pump will present signs that failure is imminent. Most electrical parts should only be replaced *when they fail*. The reason O2 sensors and spark plug wires are included in the life-cycle list is because they degrade over time. The sensor portion is covered with a special coating. The manufacturers recommend those sensors be replaced ~50-65K miles for optimal performance of the emissions system. As some of the folks here have pointed out, don't replace certain parts "just because". Keep a manual and service book to use as a guide and you won't go wrong.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:02 AM
Bwally1996
Professional

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Preventative maintenance works for mechanical parts that are nearing the end of their life-cycle: tie-rod ends, ball joints, shocks, rotors, O2 sensors, water pumps, spark plugs and plug wires, belts, and the like. Items like the water pump will present signs that failure is imminent. Most electrical parts should only be replaced *when they fail*. The reason O2 sensors and spark plug wires are included in the life-cycle list is because they degrade over time. The sensor portion is covered with a special coating. The manufacturers recommend those sensors be replaced ~50-65K miles for optimal performance of the emissions system. As some of the folks here have pointed out, don't replace certain parts "just because". Keep a manual and service book to use as a guide and you won't go wrong.

Since work has decided to not pay me for anything I've done for three weeks, I still haven't been able to do anything to my truck really, my alternator put out 3 amps on the tester. I was working so I didn't get to witness it tested so I'm gonna take it back and have them test it again where I can witness.

But in the three weekz I've been working I've made 60 bucks that's doing a whole front end, changing oil, changing transmission fluid and filter, flushing a radiator core with carb cleaner, tearing abart a whole truck so it can get sold in pieces, help put the truck on a trailer. 60 bucks. I love being a mechanic but this is a little much. Trying to act like this is charity work or some bs

Old 12-29-2015, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Are you paid flat rate? Or what?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Bwally1996
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Are you paid flat rate? Or what?
By job I think, but ive been working on the bosses truck

I changed the oil in a 2000 mustang today for a customer, not even sure if ill see a cent from it

Quick Reply: Belt tensioner??