2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stock to Upgrade pricing sheet and pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 11:52 AM
bigblue82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
first of all get the hughes engine plenum repair and do that. next change out both your oxygen sensors and dont get bosch. While your in the plenum swap out water pump and throw in a double roller timing chain. Im running a standard replacement distrubutor cap and rotor and cables from oreilly but they are brass contacts, haven't had an issue with the bosch plugs either. As far as the battery goes i got the biggest one at costco it was like 950 CCA and I made it fit, might as well utilize the extra juice if you can fit it. for the fuel pump get a delphi, id go ahead and replace it if its stock. clean out the throttle body and clean the IAC bay as well as the sensor or replace it if its as black as the devils bhole. If your cats still alive, then id leave it otherwise get a magnaflow high flow cat in there. I run borla headers and a magnaflow cat back and it sounds great. stock fan should be fine but the electric is obviously better, just make sure you at least get a 180 stat in there. the stock airbox is fine, id probably just throw a k&n in there and leave it alone, otherwise just get a cold air intake, but they don't help much without a tune. tuning wise, if your into it, get a hemifever and tune to 91 and above octane and start running it on the reg, biggest improvement in performance ive seen came from buying that tuner bar none. After that she should be running great. Roller rockers, airgaps, cams and other mods will help but arent really necessary unless you've got the cash to back it up. your sitting pretty with the nv4500. id probably give her a good flush tho since she probably hasnt had many flushes in her life haha. and of course make sure you use 10w30 synthetic for oil, probably wont need to change it whole trip if your level doesn't drop after the first hump of the trip. Fixing the plenum will alleviate oil and coolant loss that is if the plenum is blown which it most likely is...
Excellent information! This is exactly the type of knowledge I was looking for when I joined this forum. I really appreciate these detailed posts because it helps me focus on what I need to do and how to get there. Thanks, Man!

Old 12-30-2015, 12:32 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people on this site recommend that you DO NOT run a timing chain tensioner, cautious of the tensioning shoe bits that wear off and go where???

And probably not needed with the double roller chain.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:28 PM
bargeman
Professional

Originally Posted by zildjian3707
first of all get the hughes engine plenum repair and do that. next change out both your oxygen sensors and dont get bosch. While your in the plenum swap out water pump and throw in a double roller timing chain. Im running a standard replacement distrubutor cap and rotor and cables from oreilly but they are brass contacts, haven't had an issue with the bosch plugs either. As far as the battery goes i got the biggest one at costco it was like 950 CCA and I made it fit, might as well utilize the extra juice if you can fit it. for the fuel pump get a delphi, id go ahead and replace it if its stock. clean out the throttle body and clean the IAC bay as well as the sensor or replace it if its as black as the devils bhole. If your cats still alive, then id leave it otherwise get a magnaflow high flow cat in there. I run borla headers and a magnaflow cat back and it sounds great. stock fan should be fine but the electric is obviously better, just make sure you at least get a 180 stat in there. the stock airbox is fine, id probably just throw a k&n in there and leave it alone, otherwise just get a cold air intake, but they don't help much without a tune. tuning wise, if your into it, get a hemifever and tune to 91 and above octane and start running it on the reg, biggest improvement in performance ive seen came from buying that tuner bar none. After that she should be running great. Roller rockers, airgaps, cams and other mods will help but arent really necessary unless you've got the cash to back it up. your sitting pretty with the nv4500. id probably give her a good flush tho since she probably hasnt had many flushes in her life haha. and of course make sure you use 10w30 synthetic for oil, probably wont need to change it whole trip if your level doesn't drop after the first hump of the trip. Fixing the plenum will alleviate oil and coolant loss that is if the plenum is blown which it most likely is...
Kudos to Zildjian3707 for the comment. Short and sweet and to the point. Ive got the death flash, and that tuner from sct is the next purchase.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

no prob guys, makes it like a new truck