2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where is the anti drainback valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 PM
desker1%
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dapepper9
Purolator makes good filters. Fram is junk. Wix is top of the line for regular oil filters.

Purolator used to be good, I'm skeptical now that they're making the walmart brand. But I've yet to find a write up since the change. Wix go into bypass faster than any other cellulose filter because of small pore size in their filtration. This may be a benefit in transmission filtration. It's not with modern synthetic oils as the sulfactants require about 1.7 to 2.8k miles of heat and pressure to become active which is right around the time Wix will bypass thus never fully clearing acids from the system. Damn petrochemical industry changes so frequently I've developed quite the hobby around independent research periodicals. I stick with Baldwin because they're focus is fleet maintenance, they've established the best balance of filtration and capacity I've come across. And yes Fram is junk, I'd probably be better off with an old TP cartridge.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:20 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where can you get baldwins?

Old 01-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Bwally1996
Professional

What about bosche?

Old 01-11-2016, 08:23 AM
desker1%

I'm using the Baldwin B34 I get them off amazon, if you have the space the B2 is the long cartridge. Bosch makes a good over the counter filter last time I checked they're manufactured in the same facility as Microguard. They filter a bit less (we're talking ~18 vs ~23 micron) but have the same media capacity.

I ordered all the parts to add an external filter last night, and yup i went with a 51515 Wix since it's going in line with 5 weight high detergent oil. Never really though about it until starting to do my homework, but a 'traditional' size 8 filter will also provide better accommodation for the recommended fluid change/refreshment. Just pull the filter dump it out, fill it back up at every oil change and change the bastard once a year.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:22 AM
brewman
Rookie

For those of you that replaced the check valve with a remote filter kit w/check value what remote filter kit did you install?

Last edited by brewman; 01-13-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:05 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Perma-cool. It came with everything and the filter head has a port for a temp gauge, if you to add one.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brewman
For those of you that replaced the check valve with a remote filter kit w/check value what remote filter kit did you install?
Pretty much any from a major brand will work about the same -- the important part is the filter media. Mine's a Derale, works fine.

Quick Reply: Where is the anti drainback valve?