2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Smushed axle threads

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 04:33 PM
reconrey
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Smushed axle threads

Hi.

I am working on my wheel bearings and I noticed that the threads on the axle on the passenger side are smushed and the nut cannot thread all the way on. I did notice that the nut was not threaded up to the wheel bearing previously too before I started this, which is probably the reason this bearing went bad in the first place so I do not want to put a new bearing on just to have this issue happen all over again.

So, how should I go about repairing the threads? I do not have a die that large and would prefer not have to buy one just for this one job. Could threading the nut on slowly and backing it off over and over work? Or would I end up just ruining the nut too?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Your best bet would be to replace the axle stub. You do NOT want that nut coming loose on ya, and you will probably destroy the threads in the nut if you force it, and also make the threads on the axle worse.....

Old 01-16-2016, 06:37 PM
reconrey
Rookie

I can't seem to find an axle stub at any local shops, I'd have to order it. Truck is currently on stands in the backyard and I would like to get it down and on the road again. I also found an "Axle spindle threading set" available through AutoZone's tool rental program. Any idea on what size the threads of the axle nut are?

Old 01-17-2016, 10:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The kit will have a variety of sizes, I would imagine it would have the correct one in the set...... Worth a shot, I suppose. Still, it more than likely means removing the axle from the truck.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Look up your axle and find the pdf file for it from dana, It will have all the parts listed with #'s. Then you can ask/look around for it. I have a lot of them but you didn't list any truck/axle info.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Warlock_III
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try a hand grinder and trim the mushroomed threads around the axle. Then changing over to a 3 inch cutting wheel carefully trace the threads out from where they're clean. I don't suggest cutting off the last 1/4 of the axle stub.

If that fails, then I'd locate an axle stub.

It sounds like the PO couldn't get the axle out and used a BFH.

Last edited by Warlock_III; 01-17-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-17-2016, 12:44 PM
reconrey
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The kit will have a variety of sizes, I would imagine it would have the correct one in the set...... Worth a shot, I suppose. Still, it more than likely means removing the axle from the truck.
I just checked the AutoZone kit, it doesn't have a size large enough. I found a few universal thread repair tools online, but I'd still have to wait for them to be shipped.

Originally Posted by Moparite
Look up your axle and find the pdf file for it from dana, It will have all the parts listed with #'s. Then you can ask/look around for it. I have a lot of them but you didn't list any truck/axle info.
The truck is a 1996 1500 5.2l 4wd, sorry should have posted that in the original post, and I found this PDF from Dana, http://www2.dana.com/pdf/X510-9.pdf and it looks like page 16 is the part breakdown for my axle. Problem is, the axle stub does not appear to be listed.

Originally Posted by Warlock_III
I would try a hand grinder and trim the mushroomed threads around the axle. Then changing over to a 3 inch cutting wheel carefully trace the threads out from where they're clean. I don't suggest cutting off the last 1/4 of the axle stub.

If that fails, then I'd locate an axle stub.

It sounds like the PO couldn't get the axle out and used a BFH.
The problem is on the threads all the way in on the axle, not the threads at the edge. Before I took the nut off I noticed that it wasn't actually tight all the way, the washer behind the nut was able to move freely. I'm not sure how this could have happened, but it looks like the wheel bearings where never actually tightened all the way and ended up squishing the threads because of this.

Also, last night I tried slowly moving the nut on a quarter turn and backing it off over and over till I was able to bottom it out. The threads are a lot better now, but still have quite a bit of resistance to them. I think I will be able to get it torqued down, but I would still like them cleaner.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM
fun4vern
Amateur

quick fix till ya get another spindle is to put another washer on it. just a thought, have done it before.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Replace the stub axle. That's the ONLY way to do it right. Parts store can look it up for you.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:39 PM
fun4vern
Amateur

heyyou, i totally agree but he said he wanted to get it on road and not wait to order one. Just my opinion from years of get it running till ya get right part.

Quick Reply: Smushed axle threads