2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Suspension and Steering part brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Suspension and Steering part brands

Im sure soon i am going to be replacing some frontend stuff on my 1997 Ram 2500 and have seen on here some issue's with some MOOG parts not fitting etc. Now in the past i've only went by word of mouth around my area about Moog parts being one of the better susp. and steering component manufactures. Whats your thoughts and if not Moog what's your recommendation. I have the famous death wobble.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Death wobble is usually from a sloppy track bar. If you have to replace it anyway, why not upgrade to the third-gen style, that has bushings on both ends, instead of a ball joint on one end, that is usually first to fail? Costs a bit more.... but, solves the issue permanently.

XRF supposedly makes good ball joints..... Moog used to be one of the better brands, but, since most manufacturing has been moved overseas, quality has taken a nosedive.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:50 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

Is there a kit number for the 3rd generation style or what do I look up? It has only done it once when I was driving it home when I purchased the truck but then again it's the only time I really drove it on main roads and got it up to 50 or 55 and went over a few little rumble bumps on the road and it started shaking and bouncing so bad i tought I was goona lose it. got slowed down and it stopped and never did it again but then again i was slower and maybe didnt hit any bumps like those ones to get it started again. I know it was friggin scary. lol

Old 02-02-2016, 09:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check the various sites that sell suspension parts for our trucks. Basically, anybody that sells lift kits, etc. Summit and Jegs as well.

Dodge Off-Road sells one, for a bit over 400 bucks...... I would link to it, but, their site doesn't appear to allow me to do so.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:16 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

thanks HeyYou

Old 02-02-2016, 10:49 AM
PAwrestling#1
Professional

HeyYou can a bad steering box cause this kind of condition

Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Death wobble? Probably not "cause", per se, but, certainly can be a contributor. There are two adjustment procedures in the service manual that can remove a fair bit of slop from an old steering box, if it is still too sloppy for your tastes after that, replacement is the only option. Don't bother with the 'reman' boxes from the local parts store, I have seen too many of those that were actually worse than the boxes they were replacing.... Get a box from RedHead, or, Borgeson.

Old 02-02-2016, 01:00 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used several new moog parts. All their problem solver lines are still made in USA. That or it's still old stock.

I will continue to use moog until I see a reason not too. I personally have not seen any actuall evidence that they have decreased in quality.

Someone had a xrf track bar or tie rods explode once.

Quick Reply: Front Suspension and Steering part brands