2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rear tire in and out play 1996 ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Rockauto, quad4x4, jegs, summit.... See who has the best price. Might even be able to find one locally. Call around to the local stores.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:07 PM
j576
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rockauto, quad4x4, jegs, summit.... See who has the best price. Might even be able to find one locally. Call around to the local stores.
feel like a noob (which i am) but what exactly am i looking for here? bearing rebuild. full rebuild??

Old 03-06-2016, 06:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just a posi rebuild. Here's one for an example.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:05 PM
j576
Professional

Just a posi rebuild. Here's one for an example.
Guess what I got in the mail today !!!
And words of advice ? Or just tear it apart ? Lol

From what I see I have to remove the whole diff assembly correct ?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think so....... Check the service manual, take it from there.

I think I would at least try it without yanking it out.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:22 PM
j576
Professional

I don't think so....... Check the service manual, take it from there.

I think I would at least try it without yanking it out.
from what i read in the manual, and forums im ripping out the diff !! i dont see any other way to do it !?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Erik P
Rookie

You do not have to remove the carrier. What you need to do is pull the differential cross pin out so it clears the spider gears and also so it contacts the diff housing when being rotated. Turn the wheel (with the rear jacked up obviously). That will "walk" the spider gears and thrust washers out. remove cross pin and axles, and the side gears are free to come out and you can remove the LSD clutch pack.

I will say its probably far easier to remove the carrier, but it would depend if you can set up a diff or not... its not impossible, but does require a dial indicator with magnetic base, and you either have to make one, or get an axle carrier adjustment tool. if you reuse your gear set you can leave pinion alone, and use the before and after backlash adjustment as your "set up". just double check with gear marking compound that something isn't really messed up.

I just had the same problem as you a few months back. Hopefully I can answer any questions you might have.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:00 PM
j576
Professional

Originally Posted by Erik P
You do not have to remove the carrier. What you need to do is pull the differential cross pin out so it clears the spider gears and also so it contacts the diff housing when being rotated. Turn the wheel (with the rear jacked up obviously). That will "walk" the spider gears and thrust washers out. remove cross pin and axles, and the side gears are free to come out and you can remove the LSD clutch pack.

I will say its probably far easier to remove the carrier, but it would depend if you can set up a diff or not... its not impossible, but does require a dial indicator with magnetic base, and you either have to make one, or get an axle carrier adjustment tool. if you reuse your gear set you can leave pinion alone, and use the before and after backlash adjustment as your "set up". just double check with gear marking compound that something isn't really messed up.

I just had the same problem as you a few months back. Hopefully I can answer any questions you might have.
Okay I'll give that a go, if I do it that way will I still have to mess with backlash and that stuff ? That's what worries me ! I'm still trying to learn all the steps before I tear into it !

Old 03-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 389 Likes on 366 Posts

Look up some videos on youtube, As Eric P said you do not have to remove the carrier. Inspect the pin, c clips and axle ends for wear/worn parts.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Erik P
Rookie

The problem with the broken LSD pack is that the clips (the one you seen was missing) break, and then part of it works it way over to the main bearing caps. The broken clip goes around with the carrier and grinds into the bearing cap/housing. Mine was so bad I heard the bearings going, and all of them were toast. Have a look at my differential thread, I just went through the whole ordeal, except I had to pull the carrier.

Quick Reply: rear tire in and out play 1996 ram