2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Planning strong engine build from a 318, need tips!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 11:35 AM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363
Highway driving, most of the time. I want more power because she has 4.10 gears that give me around 17 MPG's, even with 37" tires, and I like that. But the last time at the local mud bog, she didn't have the horsepower to spin the tires fast enough to throw the mud out of the tread.

I want a streetable mud truck, if that makes any sense. A truck that I can drive to the mall if I want, of throw into a mud hole if the mood strikes me. I don't want to go too crazy with the motor, and fuel economy is kinda a concern. I don't want to have to trailer her to an out of state park because she gets too thirsty.
You sure gearing isn't quite a contributing factor?

I'm of the crowd that suggests a 360 rebuild with new heads, mild cam, keep kegger, do the exhaust and go to 4.88s

Old 03-17-2016, 08:44 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry, things have been busy. My DD (the 03 in my sig) has been giving me trouble. Here goes..

I kinda finished my list. The end result was an Excel spreadsheet that auto summed around $6,000. So much for my budget.... I'm gonna try to attach the file. The list isn't finalized, as I forgot new lifters and a few other things.

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Okay... Good thing you aren't asking much out of that four grand, huh?

I'm going to second the motion of starting with a seasoned 360. The hardest decision to undo is the choice of engine block; for what you say you want to do, you want an all-around good truck motor, and it's easier to get one with the 360 due to the way cams interact with the greater cylinder volume.

In fact, I suggest that the very worst thing you could do to yourself would be to build like it's a race motor so give yourself lots of high RPM horsepower. The truck you're putting it in is one from which you've removed high speed stability, directional control, and braking ability, so you don't need that invitation tempting you to go where only ambulances and coroner's wagons drive away from.

Are we singing from the same hymnal so far, or should I take my old man ideas and put them back up my *** where they came from?
I Think we are singing from the same hymnal; however, I didn't think the output was much different. It was explained to me that the shorter stroke revved up faster, where the 360 was better at top end. BTW, it might sound crazy, but I have a sentimental attachment to the block. We did some crazy things together!

Old 03-17-2016, 09:02 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by dapepper9
You sure gearing isn't quite a contributing factor?

I'm of the crowd that suggests a 360 rebuild with new heads, mild cam, keep kegger, do the exhaust and go to 4.88s
I liked my gearing. The NV4500 has a granny gear, meant for starting in second. But with my 4.10's, granny was my first, and it gave me a great overdrive, which worked well with the 37" tires and my 318. Back when she was healthy, she could outrun most traffic. I had no problem until I let her inhale a ton of mud, where she weakened. The final straw was the failed timing chain.

I have been in contact with Hughes Engines, whom I have already sent the list. I have uploaded my list here too; the Needed list is for a stock, good rebuild, where the Wanted list is for a high output engine.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Monster's Wishlist.pdf (104.2 KB, 461 views)
Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Why would you replace the crank if you don't have to?

Also, for the tune, I would suggest Flyn' Ryan, as opposed to hughes, I think the price is the same, but, Ryan seems to have a pretty good idea as to what he is doing.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:36 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why would you replace the crank if you don't have to?

Also, for the tune, I would suggest Flyn' Ryan, as opposed to hughes, I think the price is the same, but, Ryan seems to have a pretty good idea as to what he is doing.
I'm replacing the crank because when she was burning oil, it was so fast that I ran low enough to lose oil pressure for a few moments in curges and acceleration. I'm sure that damaged the rotating assembly

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

have it checked before replacing it. No point spending money you don't have to.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:39 AM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
have it checked before replacing it. No point spending money you don't have to.
No, I haven't even pulled the engine yet... I'm just planning at this point. Btw, what about the 390 stroker kit? Anyone running it?

Old 03-30-2016, 10:16 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

I've pretty much talked myself out of the stroker kit. But, has anyone built up a Magnum engine here? I'm hoping for some pointers....

Old 03-31-2016, 09:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Several folks have, some of which, aren't around any more....... Such is the nature of internet forums. there are still some threads around, digging them up is the fun part.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:31 PM
johnnyrocket5363
Captain

Update:
I have the money coming. All I need is to finish my current side project of rewiring a '63 Galaxie, then I'll pull my engine and tear it down for machining.
By the way, what I'm asking is for tips on building a custom engine. Tips like using a dollop of Play-Doh on top of the piston to check valve-to-piston clearance.
Stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Planning strong engine build from a 318, need tips!