2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Planning strong engine build from a 318, need tips!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:29 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyrocket5363

I found out far, far too late that the engine's vacuum had collapsed the air filter once it got wet (and muddy). This is the point she started burning oil. So, the block has to be bored out.

I am sure the heads are cracked. I've tried junkyards for them, they ALWAYS seem to crack. I want, good, strong heads. I'm looking at Hughes Engines Iron Ram heads with the over sized intake valves.
the vacuum thing; HUH???? that makes NO sense at all.. I have been working n cars for over 30 years, there is not enough vacuum in an engine to do this, you want to tune for highest vacuum reading possible with any given engine combo for best power, fuel economy and emissions
and that is no indicator of needing to be bored at all, need to disassemble the engine, inspect and MEASURE to determine that.
on the Iron Ram heads; they are exactly the same heads as the EQ heads only reboxed and priced higher..... though I think Hughes does offered a ported/polished option for even more money.

Last edited by volaredon; 08-07-2016 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:02 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4k to spend?!? That's easy! Put a 6.0 vortec in it. Its almost a direct swap if you already have the 318 in there now. All the hooks ups are where the need to be and on the right side they need to be on. Problem solved.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

where's my gun?? I think I'm gonna shoot myself next time I hear of someone saying to put a Chevy motor in a Dodge.... they have been doing that since old school hot rod days, I am so sick n tired of the "throw a Chevy motor into anything" idea... You want a 5.3 or 6.0 Chevy motor, FIND AN S 10 to stuff it in!!!!!

Old 08-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Amen. Nothing special about Chebby motors. They wear out just as fast or faster as anything else. It's just they are so plentiful, they end up being a cheaper fix. My folks have a 5.3 in a Tahoe--couldn't give me that thing.

Wanna be cool? Throw a 4bt in her!

Old 08-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chevy's are easy to find, cheap to buy, cheap too build, cheap to rebuild.

And That's all I have to say about that.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Chevy's are easy to find, cheap to buy, cheap too build, cheap to rebuild.

And That's all I have to say about that.
Mainly because they are so ubiquitous, the aftermarket goes crazy over them. TONS more support than pretty much any other motor.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're moving a truck, you want as many cubes as you can get, so bag the 318 idea. Get a 360 Magnum and have a stock re build dome on it, just up grade the rod bolts. Get some EQ heads decked .030 to raise your compression a point, mod the Beer Barrel, (about your only budget choice), get the biggest ported TB you can find, Spintech Mid headers, a decent cam...Flyin Ryan to tune it and be happy.

If your budget was a tad (lot) bit bigger I could show you how to put 487 horsepower to the rear wheels with a NA Magnum 408.

Talk to Richard at Hipotek, http://stores.hi-potek.com/ He's a great guy with of ton of knowledge, but you need to build for torque, not RPMs.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like this.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adobedude
You're moving a truck, you want as many cubes as you can get, so bag the 318 idea. Get a 360 Magnum and have a stock re build dome on it, just up grade the rod bolts. Get some EQ heads decked .030 to raise your compression a point, mod the Beer Barrel, (about your only budget choice), get the biggest ported TB you can find, Spintech Mid headers, a decent cam...Flyin Ryan to tune it and be happy.

If your budget was a tad (lot) bit bigger I could show you how to put 487 horsepower to the rear wheels with a NA Magnum 408.

Talk to Richard at Hipotek, http://stores.hi-potek.com/ He's a great guy with of ton of knowledge, but you need to build for torque, not RPMs.
6.0 vortec out of an ss silverado makes 345hp stock. Engines, tranny and tcase should run anywhere from 1500-2000. And will make more horsepower dollar for dallor then any magnum ever will.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
6.0 vortec out of an ss silverado makes 345hp stock. Engines, tranny and tcase should run anywhere from 1500-2000. And will make more horsepower dollar for dallor then any magnum ever will.
You are leaving out the cost of fabricating mounts, driveshafts, adapting the wiring from one truck or the other to run the engine, and get correct info to the gauge cluster. (much more of an issue on the 98 and up trucks)

If you wanted to go to all that trouble, just drop a Hemi into it. Less work.

Quick Reply: Planning strong engine build from a 318, need tips!