2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mystery part found in pan. Please help identify THX

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 06:26 PM
Acgunter1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Mystery part found in pan. Please help identify THX

Having Transmission problems found this in the pan. Trying to avoid rebuilding but not looking good. Any input greatly appreciated

(pencil is for scale)

Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Acgunter1
Having Transmission problems found this in the pan. Trying to avoid rebuilding but not looking good. Any input greatly appreciated.
Don't tell me, let me guess: Your shift into overdrive is slow and slippery, right?

That looks like a chunk of the overdrive snap ring. If the transmission is otherwise fine, no need to rebuild. Just fix that and away you go.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:27 PM
Acgunter1
Exclamation Here is some background

I just bought the truck from a gov't auction. It will not go into reverse. When in neutral still acts like it is in drive. When in any drive will not shift. The output speed sensor was broken so I replaced it but didn't disconnect the battery for long enough to reset computer. So unable to evaluate if this fixed some of the problems. Pulled pan off to check out valve body for clogs or irregularities and found this metal piece. I agree it is a piece of a snap ring not sure if is the overdrive. Thanks for your input and help. I guess the next step is take off the valve body to get a better look. Transmissions are a new territory for me but looking to learn more.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:36 PM
Double Oh Dodge
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Don't tell me, let me guess: Your shift into overdrive is slow and slippery, right?

That looks like a chunk of the overdrive snap ring. If the transmission is otherwise fine, no need to rebuild. Just fix that and away you go.
I half agree with what that looks to be, it is more likely to be from one of the other front clutch packs.
Regardless of which snap ring it is, for inspection to make the proper replacement and repair the tranny will need to come out of the truck and apart.

I am forced to disagree with the theory of "no need to rebuild".YOU CAN'T PROPERLY FIX WHAT YOU CAN'T REACH AND CAN'T SEE

My valid argument is...... if that is broken,"How much more sh*t in there is blown?" YOU CAN'T PROPERLY INSPECT CONDITION OF PARTS YOU CAN'T SEE

I opened My 46RE for what was supposed to be a simple inspection Front band replacement and filter change, but ended up multiple broken mechanical parts that ended up taking out a few more. Then before it was over, ended up replacing a leaky rusted out AT pan and electronics.

I can assume responsibility for the Main case damages caused by the sprag explosion. I believe they were likely my own oversight in either proper seating or condition of the intermediate shaft/ reverse planetary circlip.
I only figured that much out only after getting a donor case to disassemble and put the parts purchased into it.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:45 PM
bjr1a
Professional

Pulling forward while in neutral means the rear clutch set is applied, probably has slipped and built enough friction to weld together......No point in further diagnosis, its time to remove and repair.....

Old 03-26-2016, 10:48 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Double Oh Dodge
I am forced to disagree with the theory of "no need to rebuild".YOU CAN'T PROPERLY FIX WHAT YOU CAN'T REACH AND CAN'T SEE
The whole statement (with emphasis added):

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If the transmission is otherwise fine, no need to rebuild.
It's very common in these things for the OD snap ring to break and a chunk of it to end up in the pan. It's most common, when that happens, that replacing the snap ring is all the corrective action required. Neglecting it for too long can add to the bill, but most folks end up finding the chunks before that happens.

Old 03-26-2016, 10:55 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by bjr1a
No point in further diagnosis, its time to remove and repair.....

That kind of acting funny, now that it's been explained, doesn't fix quickly.

Old 03-27-2016, 12:00 AM
Acgunter1

Thanks for all your input. I am going to rebuild. I'll post what I find.

Quick Reply: Mystery part found in pan. Please help identify THX