2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 PM
00huntinram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS help please!

Hey guys.

So my abs light and Ebrake light came on about 2 weeks after i installed a new 46re transmission.

At the same time as the lights came on, my ABS module started making a loud buzzing noise. The module continues to make this noise all the time even when i turn the vehicle off, ive tried to wait to see if it stops but it doesnt the only time it stops is when i unplug it.

I have had multiple issues with the new transmission and the shop that i bought it from. They have had my truck on and off for 2 months and everytime i get it back its worse than when i dropped it off.

They are now saying that the problems with the tranny are caused by the ABS, even though the ABS went after the transmission was installed ( in fact it went the first time the tranny shifted into third gear after install)

So i need to know if anyone has any ideas of what could be causeing this ABS issue?

Mechanic said that the cervo is siezed??

Old 04-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

What year is your truck? Usually the abs is not linked with trans issues. Codes for both would help.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 PM
00huntinram

Its a 2000 half ton 5.9 4 wheel abs

Old 04-05-2016, 08:14 PM
00huntinram

No codes for the ABS. Every code under the sun for the transmission so far. There have honestly been to many to remember and the tranny shop keeps wiping them everytime i bring it back

Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Then the trans shop seriously screwed something up.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:14 PM
00huntinram

Ya they are the worst shop i have ever delt with

Also i have used a test light on the plug that goes into the ABS module and two wires are sending power into the module when the key isnt even in the ignition. I followed those wires and they go right into the relay box. Not sure where in the box as of yet. But im pretty sure the tranny is shorting somewhere alot of really wierd stuff is happening since the last time i got it back from the shop. I.E starter relay and tranny relay blew at the same time, cb radio turns on randomly, lights flicker, check engine code comes on but wont stay, and the dash has a siezure everytime the engine turns over.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:46 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it were mine, I'd be inspecting everything electrical within about two feet of the transmission, including all the stuff above it, to see if I could find the chunk they smashed. And if I found it, speaking to the transmission shop owner would be a thing I'd never do again because it would be my attorney's job to do that.

Just look, don't touch. Not even if it looks like an easy fix. You weaken your case when it goes to litigation if anyone who's not the transmission shop touches that truck.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:06 PM
00huntinram

So whats the chances that they broke something and are trying to pawn it off as a pre existing problem?

They have also told me that they had to replace a harness above the transmission because it was "shredded" however when i was under there a week prior to bringing it into them it was fine.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:57 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you just answered your own question.

Old 04-06-2016, 11:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00huntinram
So whats the chances that they broke something and are trying to pawn it off as a pre existing problem?
As dbbd1 said: I think you just answered your own question.

Originally Posted by 00huntinram
They have also told me that they had to replace a harness above the transmission because it was "shredded" however when i was under there a week prior to bringing it into them it was fine.
Well ain't that curious, huh? Hey, pal, we removed your transmission and found a shredded electrical harness above it (snicker snicker). As if there's a scenario outside of a wreck in which it's plausible to expect damage to occur in the narrow gap between an undamaged transmission and an undamaged body, except for screwing up the R&R of the transmission.

And wouldn't ya think, just spitballin' here, that most of the Rams in the wrecking yard got there after being wrecked which often bends Ram frames in very predictable places that often result in the transmission hitting the body above it, and that used transmissions for these things being a hot commodity they don't stay around long, and that guys in wrecking yards don't often care about the condition of the things around the parts they're yanking out, and that between those things those harnesses are likely trash when found in wrecking yards? And that maybe a guy looking for one of those harnesses in a wrecking yard might think it a whole lot easier to get it out of a truck from which the transmission has already been removed than to remove a transmission to get to it? And that maybe, just maybe, when you look up there above your own transmission you're not going to find a shiny, new, bought at a dealership chunk of wiring harness. So...

... yeah, that's pretty darn curious indeed.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 04-06-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Couldn't help but add more words.

Quick Reply: ABS help please!