2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Rusty Odom
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 4x4 and the reverse quick working in it and now 1st hear is starting to pull out real slow and I have looked every where for another one and can't find one for it does any one know what other transmissions will interchange with this one

Old 04-17-2016, 08:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Automatic? If so, thats a 46RE, and was used from 96 on in the 2nd gen trucks. There were some minor changes in 2000, (or was it 99?) model year, and the electronics are different, but, can be swapped out for the 'right stuff' for your truck. Pretty much, any truck with a V-8, and auto, (and 4x4) will bolt right in, and hook right up. Doesn't matter what weight rating it was.

Now, granted, the last of these trucks rolled off the assembly line 15 years ago..... so they are probably getting scarce even in the junkyards...... If you can't find one, then a rebuild might be your only option.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:55 AM
Rusty Odom

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Automatic? If so, thats a 46RE, and was used from 96 on in the 2nd gen trucks. There were some minor changes in 2000, (or was it 99?) model year, and the electronics are different, but, can be swapped out for the 'right stuff' for your truck. Pretty much, any truck with a V-8, and auto, (and 4x4) will bolt right in, and hook right up. Doesn't matter what weight rating it was.

Now, granted, the last of these trucks rolled off the assembly line 15 years ago..... so they are probably getting scarce even in the junkyards...... If you can't find one, then a rebuild might be your only option.
Yes it's an automatic the pulling gear in it is starting to pull out slow but gains momentum quickly and the reverse is completely out of it but the rest of the gears are changing and driving great

Old 04-17-2016, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

When's the last time you have a fluid/filter change, and adjust the bands? Might be all it needs.....

Old 04-17-2016, 09:22 AM
Rusty Odom

When's the last time you have a fluid/filter change, and adjust the bands? Might be all it needs.....
I changed the fluids in it bout 2 or 3 weeks ago and I have not adjusted the bands in it cause to be honest i don't really kno how to do it

Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

It's actually pretty easy..... Just need a torque wrench that is accurate at 72 INCH pounds. (you should be able to rent one.) Procedure is in the service manual, which you can download from here. (and I highly recommend just downloading it, it saving it to your local harddrive... loads a lot faster that way.)

Old 04-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Rusty Odom

It's actually pretty easy..... Just need a torque wrench that is accurate at 72 INCH pounds. (you should be able to rent one.) Procedure is in the service manual, which you can download from here. (and I highly recommend just downloading it, it saving it to your local harddrive... loads a lot faster that way.)
Ok I'll give that a try then I have been told that might be all thts wrong but I never knew how to do it but I'll give that a try and I hope that fixes it thank you

Old 04-17-2016, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good Luck, and let us know what happens.

Quick Reply: transmission