2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help with engine selection!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 04:13 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with engine selection!

So I've been motor searching for awhile now for a 5.9. And the local pick-n-pull has one for 600$, with a 90-day guarantee.

Here are my two big questions. The truck its going to go in is a 2001, that originally had a 5.2. The engine is out of a '94, has been rebuilt at least once they say so they cant verify or give any mileage numbers. So..

Is there anything I need to be aware of on the '94 5.9 that wont work or is a concern going into a 2001 truck? Should I wait longer and try to find a more correct year engine, with verifiable mileage?

Old 05-16-2016, 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

You will need a flex-plate for the 01.... and all the sensors from the 01. Would probably be best to just swap the intakes.... the 94 will have the center divider, and EGR, neither of which you need. Use the crank sensor from the 01 as well, make sure to take it out BEFORE pulling the engine.....

Will need to get a tune for the 5.9. Either that, or a pcm out of an 01 truck that had the 5.9 and same trans as you, and then have the vin flashed. (dealer, or any shop worth its salt should be able to do that.)

If the engine is still in the truck, try and do a compression test. If its out, do a cylinder leakdown test. See what the numbers say.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:41 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You will need a flex-plate for the 01.... and all the sensors from the 01. Would probably be best to just swap the intakes.... the 94 will have the center divider, and EGR, neither of which you need. Use the crank sensor from the 01 as well, make sure to take it out BEFORE pulling the engine.....

Will need to get a tune for the 5.9. Either that, or a pcm out of an 01 truck that had the 5.9 and same trans as you, and then have the vin flashed. (dealer, or any shop worth its salt should be able to do that.)

If the engine is still in the truck, try and do a compression test. If its out, do a cylinder leakdown test. See what the numbers say.
Elaborate on the flexplate.. I can't take all the sensors from the 01 as the engine that came out of it is in another vehicle now.. I DO have another intake from a 96 though... and crank sensors are also on the other vehicle xD

Will the engine still run without a tune? Using the 5.2 PCM?

Old 05-16-2016, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

318 is internally balanced, 360 is externally balanced. On the pre-96 models, the balance weights were on the torque converter, 96 and up, they *should* be on the flex plate. (driveplate, whatever, the part the t/c bolts to. )

Does your 96 have the EGR system? (mine did, though where the valve would go, there was a block-off plate instead.....)

It'll run, but, it'll run lean in open loop, till it warms up, and the O2 sensor gets into the mix. Also, the PCM automatically drops into open loop at large throttle openings..... and you will be running lean there as well. Not really good for it. If you drive gently, you can get away with it for a while, but, need to have the correct tune on it soon.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Maximillio
Professional

OK, and How can I tell if the intake has the EGR or not on it?

Old 05-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Does it have an EGR valve on the back?
(Bottom left of pic)

Old 05-16-2016, 06:34 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Also, do you know anyone who has FOR SURE run a 5.9 with a 5.2 PCM? It shows two different part numbers for the PCM's when we checked. Industry people also said we would need a 5.9PCM, and not just a re-tuned 5.2 one.

And then, could anyone explain what caused the HP/Torque differences from the early to late model 5.9? And how I could get the '94's numbers to match or be similar to a 2001 model one?

I'm also trying to be conscious of resale value later, and how certain things will or will not effect that.

Last edited by Maximillio; 05-16-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by Spillage
Does it have an EGR valve on the back?
(Bottom left of pic)

Nope definitely not EGR

Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

So far as I know, the ONLY difference between the PCM's, is the programming. The wiring harness are exactly the same, as are the pinouts on the ECM connectors, regardless of which V-8 you have. (The factory service manual does not differentiate between the two 8 cylinder engines.....)

Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So far as I know, the ONLY difference between the PCM's, is the programming. The wiring harness are exactly the same, as are the pinouts on the ECM connectors, regardless of which V-8 you have. (The factory service manual does not differentiate between the two 8 cylinder engines.....)
So a 5.2 PCM with a 5.2 VIN for the original car will work fine with a 5.9 in it? And vise versa in the other case? Obviously not optimally, and would need a custom/corrective tune eventually.

Quick Reply: Need help with engine selection!