2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

It Randomly Dies!!!, 97 1500 4x4 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice work 4stfire! Looks like you're on the right track. You've cleaned and inspected quite a bit there.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:56 PM
4STFire
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull the coil, and check the pins for the connector on the coil. They may just be dirty.....
So as part of my last troubleshooting I did check the connectors in the coil . They looked "OK" but not really easy to reach in their location to clean them.

I inspected and attempted to disassemble the coil harness plug.

Back of coil harness plug.

I pulled the grey rubber grommet out to inspect the terminal connectors and wires inside. These looked "OK" as well but I couldn't find a release tab to get the wire terminals out of the plastic housing.

Coil Harness Plug

In the end all I could guess was that the contact between the coil posts and this connector just wasn't solid. Anytime I wiggled the wires at the connector the engine would stall. There had been another coil installed as part of the shop's troubleshooting attempt and maybe the connection posts on that coil were just a bit bigger and stretched out my connector????

What I did was to install a strip of copper tape into each wire connector in the plug above. This seems to have been enough to fix the continuity problem. I wasn't able to replicate the failure by wiggling the wires and it hasn't stalled or faltered in the last several hundred miles.

At this point I will call it a win. Thanks everyone for the guidance and support!

Old 06-10-2016, 06:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,299 Likes on 3,045 Posts

Awesome.

Quick Reply: It Randomly Dies!!!, 97 1500 4x4 5.9