2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 speedometer o/d issues!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 08:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Temp sensor was an option on the 94-95 trucks. Not a surprise the connector is there.

Ok, I am getting my threads confused. Give me a quick overview of what you have done so far?

Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 PM
bpdoxey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tested all wires to vss and abs speed sensor. All get proper readings. Replaced both sensors. Nothing. Tested pen 4 and 47 which should be 5v but didn't get it. Cleaned the connectors ended up having to replace pin 47. Now the only time I get 5v with pin 47 is when I ground it to truck. When I ground it to pin 4 less than 2v. Traced the ground wire from splice to vss. Replaced it. Still nothing but when I test other sensor pins on pcm with pin 4 I get 5v

Old 09-14-2016, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Ok, digging thru the FSM, VSS outputs a pulse signal. So, in this case, the voltage is pretty much irrelevant. The only time you should actually see any sort of signal is when the tires are actually turning. The service manual is woefully inadequate when it comes to troubleshooting, and testing the actual sensor though... It refers to the DRB scan tool, and a "Diagnostic procedures" manual..... Which I have never seen.....

If you have a scan tool that will read data...... I would be curious as to just what reading the PCM is getting...... if any at all. (my guess would be "none at all".) Without being able to determine if the sensor is actually putting out some variety of signal..... no real way to determine which is the faulty component..... Don't happen to have an oscilloscope available by any chance do you?

Just to deal with the Obvious stuff.... the sensor IS indexed in the hole correctly? Right? There is a chart somewhere online that shows which marks on the sensor body line up with the index mark on the trans, according to what color gear you have driving the sensor.

Edit2: Apparently, the 'marks' on the VSS adapater are actually the number of teeth on the gear..... makes it real easy.

Last edited by HeyYou; 09-14-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:58 AM
bpdoxey
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally fixed!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I redid my ground wire all the way from the pcm, you know the one that splices to 5 or 6 different sensors, what a head ache. After that still nothing. So I was working on the paint job, waiting for my neighbor to wake up so we could get at it, I had a brand new speed sensor that I never installed because I had replaced it twice with no luck. I installed it with the new ground wire and BAM! It works! So the fix was the ground wire that had some damage, then just putting a sensor in that my truck liked!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:25 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's great! But now, I guess you have to really thank your neighbor (for sleeping in late).

Quick Reply: 94 speedometer o/d issues!