2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 ram 318 v8 magnum CAT DELETE

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by j576
Looool legal or illegal the cat is coming off the truck hahaha
Mine was hollow when I got the truck.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I guess it is like "locks only stop honest thieves", this is "it's only illegal if you get caught".

Old 08-09-2016, 09:07 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spillage
I guess it is like "locks only stop honest thieves", this is "it's only illegal if you get caught".
Do you realize how many idiotic laws are still on the books? Do you, or would you adhere to them if you knew about them all?

Example 1 - its only legal for a woman to drive in Alabama if a man is walking in front of here with a flag notifying on coming traffic a woman is driving.

Example 2 - its illegal in Kentucky to have icecream in your back pocket

Example 3. Its illegal in NYC to walk backwards while holding a chocolate donut

Sure, stupid as they may seem, seems to you laws are laws and should be blindly followed no matter what. You buy things online? Do you live in a state that requires all taxes to be paid? And do you? If you sell an item that has a value over x dollars do you report that on your taxes? Have you ever speed be it on a country road at 3am with no one around?

I think my point is made.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:32 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So it's okay not to obey the laws if you can't see the sense it? Yeah, you made your point alright.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:18 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I had mine taken out cause I couldn't afford to replace it, it was clogged and rattling pluss no emissions testing. Guess what, check engine light is on for catalytic efficiency.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:20 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Coming from someone with a degree in chemistry they do perform worthwhile tasks, so yes it is a bit hypocritical of me to take that stance but it is what it is.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:49 AM
j576
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey this thread wasn't to get everyone arguing against each other ! We are all here on the same forum discussing our vehicles and trying to help eachother out ! So let's not get derailed because people are going to do what they want regardless right ?

It was a simple question about CAT DELETE.

Pros and con's. Got the answers I was looking for. That's all I can ask for, thanks again for people's input as its greatly appreciated !

Old 08-10-2016, 01:17 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The check engine light will most likely come on, that's what the non-fouler is for. And your truck is gonna smell horrible and spew toxic gas. Your choice but why removing it? I replaced my cat with a high flow unit.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:14 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by beeker
The check engine light will most likely come on, that's what the non-fouler is for. And your truck is gonna smell horrible and spew toxic gas. Your choice but why removing it? I replaced my cat with a high flow unit.
No exhaust shop here would put in an aftermarket cat unless it was the whole thing from manifold to muffler but they would sure cut it out and put in a small collector/y-pipe

Pros: No more clogged cat, change in exhaust tone (opinion), increase in power (usually only noticable if it was clogged), cooler exhaust system (for those of you driving in fields know the fire danger from these).

Cons: Check engine light (usually depends on condition of motor), can't pass emissions if required, change in exhaust tone (opinion), smells like a carbureted car, putting out undesirable gases.

If anyone has any others please mention them. I personally don't have one due to my plenum clogging mine.

Quick Reply: 1996 ram 318 v8 magnum CAT DELETE