2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering failed but I lived

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 PM
acain
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering failed but I lived

I was only doing about twenty mph when it went out. No warning, totally gone. My truck went across the oncomming lane and up on the sidewalk, and stopped about six inches from a light pole. It was dark by the time we got it on the flatbed and got it home, but from what I can see, it looks as if the steering shaft some how came apart from the steering box. Looks like theres a u-joint kind of assembly at the top of the shaft but I couldnt really see much more than that in the dark. Gotta look at it after work. What the heck would cause the shaft to just pop off like that?

Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Post up some pics when you have 'em. We'll be more help that way.

Just glad you are good, and the truck wasn't damaged.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 PM
acain
Rookie
Old 09-16-2016, 07:07 PM
acain
Rookie

looks as if the bolt just tightens down after you extend the shaft? theres no cotter pin holes or anything. seems kind of odd.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Has any work been done on your steering in recent history? The bolt that pinches that feller shut goes into a grove cut into the shaft. If the bolt is in place, it is supposed to be physically impossible for the shaft to slip off.

Gonna bet your clock-spring (in the steering column) is toast too.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:39 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you are okay and no was hurt. Did the shaft break, cause it looks like there should be a round shaft that plugs into the clamp...?

Old 09-17-2016, 11:30 AM
acain
Rookie

thanks guys. needed new pants any how. cant find any detailed pictures in the haines book or online. there is sort of a worn groove from the bolt on the shaft, but not enough that Im convinced its factory. more like wear. but.. the steering shaft is kind of oblong, not round, and slips into the u-joint there like its made that way. with that said, if I get my pinky finger down in there, I can feel a hole that is bored into the center of it. I also know I dont wanna take that ride again

Old 09-17-2016, 01:31 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is probably he factory groove. No, it's not very deep. Remove the bolt, is it worn?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM
acain
Rookie

bolt didnt seem worn much. threaded out and back pretty easy. I put it back in place and tightened the heck out of it. then I used a piece of rubber and a clamp around the shaft as a safe gaurd so that if it shoud loosen up it cant possibly slide down again. how ever, I do hear a grinding kind of noise when I turn to the right. also, my cruise control wont work. I think I have to look into this problem a little further?

Old 09-19-2016, 06:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Likely the clockspring got jacked when the steering wheel could spin free. It just isn't designed to deal with that.

Quick Reply: steering failed but I lived