2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas - radiator leak

Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Aug
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas - radiator leak

I smelled the infamous smell of coolant on the way home a couple of days ago, and when I pulled in the driveway, I saw the general area of the leak. Looks to be from the driver's side near the bottom, which in doing some research tends to be a common leak area. Right now, it's a small leak, but I'm sure it will get bigger with time. I have a few comments / questions:

1. It appears to be a rather straight forward and simple repair. Anyone disagree or have any tips? I'm also really thinking about replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses while I have the coolant drained and the system down. Not sure if I should replace the T-stat as well (I haven't noticed any overheating issues).

2. Someone suggested adding Bar's stop leak. I've never been a big fan of stop leak products (either for coolant leaks or oil leaks). I've always advocated replacing the part and not use stop leak unless it's a roadside emergency repair.

3. It looks like the radiator has the transmission cooler as part of it as well (looks like 2 transmission lines run to it on the passenger side). Is this the case? Should I keep this in mind when buying a new radiator and make sure it has transmission cooler aspects as well? I'm not sure what the deal is here.

4. NAPA Auto Parts and/or Autozone radiator should be fine?

Attached Thumbnails 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas - radiator leak-radiator-1.jpg   2001 Ram 2500 4x4 5.9L gas - radiator leak-radiator-2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2016, 10:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Replace the radiator. Do it soon. Mine sprung a small leak like that, and the next day, the tank blew apart.

Bars Leaks isn't going to fix it, all it will do is clog up the radiator, and kill it faster.

Trans cooler is indeed in there as well, and I am unsure if you can even get one that DOESN'T have it......

I prefer to avoid autozone... Matter of preference I suppose. Probably the same parts that I get from Advance.....

Old 11-03-2016, 08:17 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

If you plan to keep that truck a while, replace it with an all-aluminum radiator. See if you can do a google search for a CSF 2969 and pick one up - it will outlast your truck!

For more information, take a read on this thread:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-radiator.html

Old 11-03-2016, 09:25 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I would replace the T-stat and the hoses. Really good time to put a block heater in if you need one. Yes, you want to keep the tranny cooler in the radiator tank. Picture a piece of metal heated cherry red. Will it cool faster hanging in a breeze or dropped in a water tank?

Old 11-03-2016, 09:37 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Quote from CSF web site:

CSF takes pride in the quality of its products and offers one of the best warranty’s in the industry
But it doesn't say how long it is! Radiator.com offers a lifetime warranty! Had one in my truck for 10 years now after two radiators from the local parts houses sprang leaks after about a year. Both leaked from the core not the plastic sides. Just saying, Choose wisely.

Her is the link if you would like to read it for yourself.

http://csfimports.com/warranty-information/

https://www.radiator.com/

Old 11-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Aug
Rookie

Thanks for the replies...I'm still somewhat new to the Dodge Rams (had a Durango for years that I've given to my son). Sounds like the radiator has a small transmission cooler inside as well, with transmission oil flowing through it. Didn't know that!

Time isn't on my side, and I may have to use the local NAPA auto part store for the new radiator. They said that it has the transmission line connections on the new radiator (I assume this means it also has transmission cooler inside the radiator).

Old 11-03-2016, 10:12 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Aug
Thanks for the replies...I'm still somewhat new to the Dodge Rams (had a Durango for years that I've given to my son). Sounds like the radiator has a small transmission cooler inside as well, with transmission oil flowing through it. Didn't know that!

Time isn't on my side, and I may have to use the local NAPA auto part store for the new radiator. They said that it has the transmission line connections on the new radiator (I assume this means it also has transmission cooler inside the radiator).
Yes, if it has the fittings, it will have the cooler inside. On a new radiator I would suggest spraying some brake cleaner and air through the cooler to make sure it's clean. Be gentle with the compressed air though.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:22 AM
precisionhomeinspections

Hello Folks! I not to Good at this. I need Your Help and advice on Swapping a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L Radiator 2WD For a 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 V-10 8.0L Gas Bas Its a 2 3/4 Core instead of 1 1/4? I would appreciate Your input! Thanks Sincerely:

Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Hose sizes are different. You will need adapters.

Why do you want the V-10 radiator in the first place? The stock feller works fine.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

More cooling capacity. I beg to differ on the stock one. In 100* heat stuck in traffic driving a black truck it heats up.

Search this Thread