2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with odd engine sound [Video!]

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:58 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with odd engine sound [Video!]

Title says it! You'll hear the weird, almost tick-lick sound (not quite a tick more of a thuck inhale sound xD ) on the passenger side in this video, sound isn't on drivers side. Any ideas what this could be? Haven't done any troubleshooting or diagnosing yet as I'm swamped with work at the moment.

IN OTHER NEWS!!!! The engine swap was a success! Started up on literally the first key turn, and that was on old gas! Sounds pretty damn nice, keeps a steady idle around 650RPM, it drives (except the brakes need bleeding)!

Two links in case one is being funny :P
https://youtu.be/OhDI3jDJr1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhDI...ature=youtu.be

Old 11-29-2016, 09:10 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

That sounds like an exhaust leak. Check the header flange area or the connection between the header and exhaust pipe on that side. I highly suspect the header gasket is at fault. I've experienced the exact same issue.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Will check that for sure once the exhaust is fully bolted or unbolted. Right now the header is only bolted to the y-pipe on the passenger side, and has an alignment issue on the drivers side, so more or less is unbolted and theres a good gap between the header and the y-pipe. If that wouldnt affect it, its very possible the seal isnt perfect on that side since thats the side we had to weld a stud into place. Its possible we didnt get the sides of the stud smooth enough and is causing a gap. Who knows! Thanks for the tip off on what you think is responsible though, will give a good starting place.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:54 PM
Maximillio
Professional

Anyone else have any insight??

Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Did you address your exhaust issues yet?

Old 12-04-2016, 10:29 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if not exhaust, sounds like a spark jumping (right at :06). it's easier to diagnose noises with the serpentine belt off

Old 12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Big Joe C
Professional

Header gasket is blown out and leaking. Get these gaskets, best ones I've had, better than Felpros.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rfl-6004