2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'96 Ram 1500 with 3rd Gen wheels, can't keep center caps on

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:56 AM
Bob5151
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default '96 Ram 1500 with 3rd Gen wheels, can't keep center caps on

Hey everyone, looking to see if anyone has has this issue.

I have a 1996 Ram 1500 (details in signature). It came with ordinary 2nd Gen aluminum wheels when I bought it. I got a set of 3rd Gen chrome-clad steel wheels (I see 2nd Gen trucks all the time with 3rd Gen wheels in them).

I put the wheels on using my 2nd Gen lug nuts, because the 3rd Gen lugs that came with the wheels are too large for my wheel studs.

With this setup, the wheels slide on, then the center caps, and they are held on with the lug nuts.

The lug nuts hold the wheels on perfect (been on for a few thousand miles, I've checked the lugs, never an issue). The problem is, the holes on the center caps seem to be designed for the larger 3rd Gen lug nuts, so they are too big for my lug nuts to hold them on.

Since I can't use the 3rd gen nuts, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a lug nut with a large "flange" (maybe not the right word) but with the same threads?

Research online looks like our truck need 1/2"-20 thread lug nuts. I would need that with a larger area to catch the center caps.

Has anyone had this issue?

Old 12-02-2016, 09:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Have a look at some of the GM lugnuts. They have a larger "washer" cast into them, for just such an occasion. No idea what size/thread they are though.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:22 PM
BA_From_GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my lug nuts- - got a full set of Chromed lug nuts with the wider diameter flange for ~24 bucks shipped off of Amazon. I'd figure out what exactly you'll need for your situation and then order them from Amazon if i were you..