2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! Wheel keeps breaking off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Something is binding up, and causing the wheel lugs to sheer.

Or, maybe.... are you over-torquing the lug nuts??

Old 12-28-2016, 07:55 PM
Zachwils95
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not tightening the lugs to torque. But I don't think I'm tightening them too much. I will torque them next time for sure. With The wheels that I have, the center does not sit on the hub. Like the wheel doesn't have a center bore. Is that a problem?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:21 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Originally Posted by Zachwils95
I'm not tightening the lugs to torque. But I don't think I'm tightening them too much. I will torque them next time for sure. With The wheels that I have, the center does not sit on the hub. Like the wheel doesn't have a center bore. Is that a problem?
The wheel not sitting on the center bore should be fine, that is if it is a lug centric wheel. Which most aftermarket wheels are lug centric, so they can acomodate multiple different vehicles.

Not sure if you already have done this, but Make sure the wheels you have have the right bolt pattern. If the bolt pattern matches up, look at the lugs, what type are they? Acorn, ball or other? And then match the lug to the seat of the wheel. If the lug seat in the wheel is a acorn and you have a ball lug, swap out. They HAVE to match. Make sure they are torqued to spec. Should be 135lb feet, at least I know that with my 1500.

The two major things I think would cause this is if the bolt pattern doesn't match up between the wheels and truck, or of the lugs don't match their respective seat. If you could, send a picture of the wheel and how it looks on the truck, the lug and the lug seat in the wheel, the back of the wheel, where it meets to the hub. Just as many as you can get. I might be able to help more if I saw some pictures.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Zachwils95
Amateur

Will get some pictures first thing in the morning. Thank you.

Old 12-28-2016, 08:32 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Will get some pictures first thing in the morning. Thank you.
Skimmed thru first page, so not sure if you talked about this but...
Also, when does it break off? At a certain mph? When you hit a bump?
And does it shear the stud completely? Or does it pull the lug off?

Old 12-28-2016, 08:43 PM
Zachwils95
Amateur

The truck starts to jolt and jump and the wheel snaps off. Shears the lugs completely off. Transfer case had shavings in it so I replaced it. Issue remains. The solenoid next to the shifter linkage on the transmission has bare wires touching each other. Fixed that and the jumping stopped, however I don't see how that could cause the front wheel to break off.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

The truck starts to jolt and jump and the wheel snaps off. Shears the lugs completely off. Transfer case had shavings in it so I replaced it. Issue remains. The solenoid next to the shifter linkage on the transmission has bare wires touching each other. Fixed that and the jumping stopped, however I don't see how that could cause the front wheel to break off.
So the wheels no longer break off?

Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 PM
Zachwils95
Amateur

The wheel never breaks off immediately. It will drive a while before breaking off. Last time I drove the truck for a week before it broke off. I opened up the differential and it looks good to me. No signs of any damage. No shavings. I can't even see any wear. However for some reason the oil is muddy looking. Like engine oil looks with water in it. The axle shaft section that connects the CAD to the diff slides back and forth about an eighth of an inch, not sure if it's supposed to OR not.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:40 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

The wheel never breaks off immediately. It will drive a while before breaking off. Last time I drove the truck for a week before it broke off. I opened up the differential and it looks good to me. No signs of any damage. No shavings. I can't even see any wear. However for some reason the oil is muddy looking. Like engine oil looks with water in it. The axle shaft section that connects the CAD to the diff slides back and forth about an eighth of an inch, not sure if it's supposed to OR not.
Well I'm no thanks expert on driveline components, but I'm good with tires and wheels. Get me those pics, and do you really research to see if the bolt patterns match, and also on the lugs and their respective seats.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:45 AM
Zachwils95
Amateur

Okay guys, so last night I reran every single vacuum line I could get to under the hood an underneath the truck. The two vacuum lines going from the CAD to the transfer case go from ruber hose to metal tubing and then back to hose. Well both of the metal tubing were completely stopped up. I dont see how the CAD was working at all. Maybe this was the issue. Perhaps the CAD was not disengaging completely. Truck seems to shift in and out of 4x4 much easier now. Also found some more bare wires on another sensor, but I think is just a speed sensor.