2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Easily disable obnoxious ignition key dinging alarm??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 PM
not2techie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easily disable obnoxious ignition key dinging alarm??

Truck won't start. And as I turn over the engine, in an effort to get the oil to move in these subzero temps...that ignition key alarm is driving me batty! Is there a fuse I can pull to turn off only that alarm?

Because of the gas smell now, I am assuming the fuel pump sends more fuel, every time I turn the key off fully, in an effort to stop that horrid alarm ding noise, and then turn it back on? At what key position exactly, does the fuel pump turn on?

2001 5.9L Ram 2500 gas

Old 12-15-2016, 02:08 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It pumps for a few seconds (until it starts) in the "run" position. In order to disable that chime, you would have to remove your central timer module (CTM), which would screw up other things. If you WERE a techie, you could take apart the CTM and just remove the chime-thingey (I think).

Old 12-15-2016, 02:47 PM
not2techie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So really then, the fuel pump is still sending gas the whole while the engine is turning, without starting?

Edit to add update: Tow truck came with battery power. Was able to hold key in start position long enough to get truck started. But for future reference, I still need to understand more about the exact timing of when it sends more fuel during the starting process. I will research.
And, if it the weather was in human habitable temps, I would figure out the CTM thing too.

Last edited by not2techie; 12-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Fuel pump will run for three seconds with the key in the "on" position, then stop. Unless.... the PCM sees the engine turning, be that cranking, or actually running, (via the crank sensor) then it turns the pump on again.