2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

newbi bought a truck from a tweeker

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017 | 08:21 PM
brian102
|
Professional

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
So in other words, if you're going to use Forward Air then your crate needs to be bomb proof.
i would recommend 2x3's and 3/4 ply if you care about it. i would find another way if it wasn't replaceable. it's a numbers game to them most shipments make it through claim free, not real pretty when it gets to the other side, but technically not damaged. but the kids get wrote up if they cant fit everything on the trailer and they also get wrote up if it takes more than 1 1\2 hrs. ever play tetris and keep getting the z on the last level?

Do the $1k axles you're looking at have 4.10 gears in them?
nope... unfortunately. 3.54/5

Old 08-13-2017 | 03:05 PM
brian102
|
Professional

so i just got a 97 sport as a donor rig for axles and some other misc items. guy i got it from snapped the bellhousing in half changing the clutch. $600 plus another $125 for a tow. might get the bellhousing fixed and slap it back together as a spare beater... not sure yet.

i've also learned a few things about my original truck thanks to the parts truck... it has a 5 1/2" lift compared to the stock sport. tubular front arms instead of the factory stamped arms. the front axle is centered in the wheel well so 35's will fit. rear leafs are 3" lift...

i was kinda hoping the parts truck would have 3.92's, but it just has open 3.55's... oh well.

Last edited by brian102; 08-13-2017 at 03:22 PM. Reason: pics!
Old 08-15-2017 | 10:28 AM
Tboned
Rookie

That dash is worth its weight in Gold!

Old 08-15-2017 | 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I am REAL curious how he managed to get the nice, straight dent behind the drivers door. That takes a certain amount of talent.

Old 08-15-2017 | 10:38 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I'd be tempted to pull the motor then rebuild it on a stand and leave it there until yours gives up on life.
That dash and grille look pretty good.

That dent looks like it did a sideways slide into the corner of a brick building or something. It looks too low for an 18 wheeler to have backed into it.

Old 08-15-2017 | 11:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am REAL curious how he managed to get the nice, straight dent behind the drivers door. That takes a certain amount of talent.
Hey where you located with those axles? I just snapped my Dana 60/70 in half

Old 08-16-2017 | 12:34 AM
brian102
|
Professional

well, the dash was something i noticed after i had it in the driveway. not much of the interior will interchange with a 99... but yes it is in glorious condition

the dent was the result of sliding into something... the original owner slid off the road in the winter right into a pole. didn't hurt anything but the cab... even the drivers door still works fine.

not sure how you broke a d60/70 but damn!

i'm actually thinking it will be cheaper and faster to get this parts rig going. huge **** in the side of the cab aside. it's bone stock and runs good... only thing it actually needs to be a driver is the transmission fixed.

my 99 needs axles, wheels, tires, few select interior pieces, gears and locker preferably... it's a bit aggravating actually... axles, wheels and tires are all interdependent... do i swap in the 9.25 and d44 from the red truck and get new wheels and tires, then decide to upgrade to d60's and do it all over again $$$$$? or fix this red one and have the junk hauler i need for my house projects, while i save to fix the 99 right the first time?

the kid in me says max the credit cards and turn the 99 into a beast... the adult in me [the side that will win] says fix the red one and have patience while saving for the 99... the adult side can be more fun... might find myself in a position later on to just go down to the dealership and get a brand new ram... dunno... i have a hard time justifying $35k+ for a new rig.

Old 08-16-2017 | 09:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Hey where you located with those axles? I just snapped my Dana 60/70 in half
Southern michigan. About 80 miles west of detroit.

Old 08-18-2017 | 03:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Southern michigan. About 80 miles west of detroit.
Pm me with how much you want for them and I may make the trip

Old 08-18-2017 | 03:17 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by brian102
well, the dash was something i noticed after i had it in the driveway. not much of the interior will interchange with a 99... but yes it is in glorious condition

the dent was the result of sliding into something... the original owner slid off the road in the winter right into a pole. didn't hurt anything but the cab... even the drivers door still works fine.

not sure how you broke a d60/70 but damn!

i'm actually thinking it will be cheaper and faster to get this parts rig going. huge **** in the side of the cab aside. it's bone stock and runs good... only thing it actually needs to be a driver is the transmission fixed.

my 99 needs axles, wheels, tires, few select interior pieces, gears and locker preferably... it's a bit aggravating actually... axles, wheels and tires are all interdependent... do i swap in the 9.25 and d44 from the red truck and get new wheels and tires, then decide to upgrade to d60's and do it all over again $$$$$? or fix this red one and have the junk hauler i need for my house projects, while i save to fix the 99 right the first time?

the kid in me says max the credit cards and turn the 99 into a beast... the adult in me [the side that will win] says fix the red one and have patience while saving for the 99... the adult side can be more fun... might find myself in a position later on to just go down to the dealership and get a brand new ram... dunno... i have a hard time justifying $35k+ for a new rig.
let's just say tires bigger then 45s plus 5.11 gears plus 650hp plus my lead for rock "crawling" did it lol honestly I think what happened is where the tubes are pressed in an welded I think the welds broke on both of them. That's what you get for PA weather