2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front drive shaft different u joints on a 99 1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Buckhorn123
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front drive shaft different u joints on a 99 1500

I removed my front drive shaft and discovered that my ball joint needles had broke. I replaced the ball joint and the u joints but to discover the u joint was to small to fit into the clips going into the front differential so I got a larger one but that one wouldn't drive into the yoke did anyone else have this issue?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Check the clips off the old one, Sometimes the new ones have thicker clips and you need to use the old ones. Also make sure none of the rollers fall into cap stopping it from going in all the way. Lastly how did you get the old one out? Press? It may have bent the yoke.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:56 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what part numbers did you get on the joints? if the smaller one fit into the driveshaft ok, and seats ok on the yolk of the front end, I would go with the use the old clips idea.

when you say the bigger one wouldn't fit, do you mean diameter wise or you couldn't get the retainer clips to go in?

Old 01-25-2017, 09:03 AM
Buckhorn123

Originally Posted by Moparite
Check the clips off the old one, Sometimes the new ones have thicker clips and you need to use the old ones. Also make sure none of the rollers fall into cap stopping it from going in all the way. Lastly how did you get the old one out? Press? It may have bent the yoke.
I used a old socket and a hammer to drive the bearing's out. I went to the store and they had different size clips but they would not fit

Old 01-25-2017, 09:30 AM
Buckhorn123

Originally Posted by Moparite
Originally Posted by racefan41
what part numbers did you get on the joints? if the smaller one fit into the driveshaft ok, and seats ok on the yolk of the front end, I would go with the use the old clips idea.

when you say the bigger one wouldn't fit, do you mean diameter wise or you couldn't get the retainer clips to go in?
I couldn't fit them in diameter. What I don't understand is that the old bearing's measure 1.125×1.125 and that it would fit in the clips but not fit in the yoke

Old 01-25-2017, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

They are press fit.... if there is any crud inside 'em, they aren't going to want to go in there real bad.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:04 AM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, you really need a vise that's half heavy duty (although I've heard of guys doing them out on the trail with a hammer). When I do them I tap on the vise toward the joint/shaft a couple times during the squeeze to relieve the tension on them too. Helps keep them going in straight and the last tap is usually a pretty firm one to get that last bit seated to make it so the clip will go in. Then give the yolk a good strike around the weld area just below the yolk on the shaft to take the tension of the joint so it swivels smooth.

Last edited by racefan41; 01-25-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:36 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually use my ball joint press but I've used a vise many times with great luck. Sometimes when you drive the old u joint out you actually press the ears of the yoke together slightly. Then as you press the new u joint caps in you collapse the ears together a little more making it difficult or impossible to get the clip in. You can usually make the ears go back by giving the yoke a good wrap with a hammer. Also as mentioned check the thickness of the new clips vs the old ones. If the new ones are thicker you might not be able to get them in.