2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V-10 lifter noise.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

That was my thought as well. (I read the same threads I suspect.... ) I would want to simply replace the pump if I was in it that far though, and finding the gears, which is all ya get..... is proving to be difficult.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:45 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, you're not kidding on those gears. They look like a lot more fun than finding the cam and crank sensors. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder what other fun hunts are down the road.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:03 AM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Prior to changing an oil pump, You might want to confirm its operation with a mechanical gauge.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Torxhead
Prior to changing an oil pump, You might want to confirm its operation with a mechanical gauge.
If I am going to dig that far into the motor, just to inspect it, I will replace it. I don't want to tear it down, only to discover that I DO need to replace it, and not have the parts on hand. And if I have the parts on hand, then it would only make sense to replace it.

On the 8.0, the oil pump is on the crank snout, and part of the timing cover. (another piece that tends to wear, is difficult to find, and hideously expensive when you do.....)

At this point though, while oil pressure is a tad random, it never drops below minimum spec.... so, not entirely sure I am even going to deal with it. Yet. Putting a mechanical gauge on there, to see exactly what is going on, IS indeed a good idea though.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:30 AM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey you, did you ever have luck with this.

My engine is a bit noisy as well(but performs fine).

having spent a lot of time listening to it idle while slowly adding tranny fluid the last day, I became conscious of how loud it is. Is yours similar to this...have a listen?

https://youtu.be/pXekwBFveo4

https://youtu.be/8b8IR_CYNrI

I'm on a fresh 10w30 change, synthetic. The previous oil was dark, the filter I pulled was wrong for the v10. However it wasn't leaking and I want to say I looked it up and flow spec was similar.

I just need someone to tell me they are noisy, this is normal don't sweat it.

like you I don't drive much, or far... except summers.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have been using a 'high mileage' engine oil, hoping to clean things out, but, I have yet to put 3000 miles on the truck. And yes, the lifters are still noisy. I did some research on the issue, and it seems others have the problem as well, but, not everyone..... several folks have gone so far as to change the lifters, and it didn't make any difference. I don't know if this is just how the lifters are.... kinda like the Rhoades "variable duration" lifters that would bleed down at lower rpm.... but, the behavior sure doesn't seem like those. Mine rattles around 2600 RPM and up, till it shifts, but, not every time. There may be some noise at idle, but, I can't really hear it in the cab.... If they are rattling while just cruising, I can't hear it.... (but, my hearing isn't the best anyway.......)

I *might* delve into the motor, and change the lifters, but, not till next spring.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:19 AM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sound the same as mine...can't hear much of it in the cab...honestly I might not have paid much attention to it, but since I have been adding tran fluid a pint at a time from 5 quarts up towards 7 trying to get it topped off but not over filled, I've spent a lot of time with the hood up while the engine was idling warm. It's given me time to listen to it and wonder.

Sounds like in general it's not fatal. I've seen varying advice about heavy oil, putting a quart of lucas oil stabilizer...using synthetic, not using synthetic, using lucas, not using lucas...saying a prayer before the change, not praying until after.

It's going to be a while before I have 3000 miles on it. I'll look at all that again when it's time for a change. I've heard a lot of V10 on youtube, but quite a few have exhaust work done which could drown out pretty much all other noises.

-Ray

Old 11-22-2017, 10:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

LOLOL. Yep, sounds like you read a bunch of the same threads I did.

Given the already extremely thirsty nature of the 8.0, I wasn't willing to go with heavier oil....

Some of what you hear under the hood may be lifter tick as well. Mine are pretty loud.

Old 11-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have about 102k on my '99 V10, usually get a clatter on a cold start up and have for the past few years. I does quiet down after a few seconds. Like maybe the lifters have drained overnite.
Edit: Looking at the past postings I see I already said that.

Last edited by Torxhead; 11-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Torxhead
I have about 102k on my '99 V10, usually get a clatter on a cold start up and have for the past few years. I does quiet down after a few seconds. Like maybe the lifters have drained overnite.
Edit: Looking at the past postings I see I already said that.
Mines a 98, with 134K on it now. I get some noise at startup, which goes away when oil pressure comes up. (I usually get two dings of the chime, then pressure is up. Only one when the engine is already warm.) Makes me wonder if some of my lifters don't pump back up all the way.

Quick Reply: V-10 lifter noise.