2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual Transmission Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CJSuhr
I'm guessing there's no electronics on the colum itself that would be different than the manual if I'm correct. The only other thing I can think of would be the O/D switch. I'd rather not remove the dash to replace the wiring harness inside the truck, if I reprogram the PCM and remove the pcm, it shouldn't cause a problem? This might be more of a test and try?

Also, the clutch safety switch or whatever you call it, I'd like to have that in place if I can, but as stated above, I'd rather jot switch the harness out of the dash. Is there a way to splice in and connect the switch? Would they be their own pins on the pcm or part of a circuit that does the same thing? I guess what I should ask if it's part if the interior or engine harness?
No difference on the column. I believe there is just a roll pin that you can knock out to remove the lever from the column. Make sure you have it in park when you do, or you won't be able to remove the key.

O/D switch can be left in the dash (forgot the year of your truck already :shakes head) or wire just nipped off at the shifter if that's where your button is.

For the neutral safety circuit, on the drivers side of the trans right by the shift/ throttle valve (kickdown) levers there is a 3 pin connector. The 2 outside wires are for the backup lights and the middle one is the neutral/park safety. All it does is ground out to let the engine start.
The easiest way to make all that work is to splice the proper plug for the reverse light switch into those outside wires (doesn't matter which way. All it does is close a circuit), and splice a wire from the middle wire to the switch on the clutch then ground the other wire from the switch.

As for tuning the ECU, contact Flyin' Ryan or Hemifever for a canned tune with trans delete. Google will pull either one up for you. You'll be able to drive it with out the tune, but you will have a check engine light, trans temp light, and o/d off light.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I think you need to take a look, and see if the clutch switch connector is actually there. It shows in the wiring diagrams as being jumpered on auto trans trucks... so, it might just be taped up to the harness somewhere.

O/D switch should have a connector as well, somewhere near the column. Should be able to just unplug it, and call it a day, if you want to remove the lever.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:35 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you need to take a look, and see if the clutch switch connector is actually there. It shows in the wiring diagrams as being jumpered on auto trans trucks... so, it might just be taped up to the harness somewhere.

O/D switch should have a connector as well, somewhere near the column. Should be able to just unplug it, and call it a day, if you want to remove the lever.
Good call on both counts.
If you can find the clutch switch plug like HeyYou mentions, then you would just need to ground the middle wire I mentioned I think.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:59 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 94, so it is obd1. I'm not sure if that changes anything with the O/D since it's on the dash. I'll probably just unplug it and call that a day. For the clutch switch, it runs on the same circuit as the neutral saftey switch, but Im changing the engine and tranny harness but not the inside, so would the manual not have that neutral safety connector? And, heyyou, are you saying that the connector for the clutch switch is already tapped in in all the Trucks according to the diagrams, it's just whether or not the truck is a manual that it is used?

And when you also talked about a tune, I cannot do one unless I find someone that can tune my OBd1 computer. Id have to send it in as a whole. I'll contact the dealer and see how much it is for them to flash it to the manual transmission.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:51 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

I just looked under the dash quick. I recall swing a connector under there with 2 yellow wires, but when I did a quick look today I did not see it. I'll pull the knee bolster off sometime this week and start looking, but If I'm correct it should look like the onces in these threads?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-5-2l-4x4.html

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...switch-318495/

Old 04-16-2017, 06:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, yeah, you can just ignore the O/D off switch then. If you use a manual pcm, it won't care about that circuit anyway.

94 PCM can't be easily reprogrammed. It doesn't care about VIN matching either, so, if you can find a PCM for a 5.9, with a manual, that's all ya need. (94 or 95 only though, unfortunately)

I *think* all the interior harnesses are the same, as far as trans setup goes. Just things like trailer brake wiring, and maybe A/C, would be different. The wiring diagrams show the clutch switch connector bypassed for auto transmissions, so, I am "assuming" it is there. The connector should indeed have two yellow wires.

Old 04-16-2017, 10:22 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Ill let y'all know bout the clutch safety circuit.

But you don't think the dealer can reprogram/flash the pcm? Not even with the Chrysler DRBiii or type scanners they have? Or are you just talking about aftermarket options?

Old 04-17-2017, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

OBDI computers aren't flash programmable. On the GM PCM's, the prom chip is replaceable, which also makes doing your own tunes fairly inexpensive. (about 150 bucks worth of equipment, a computer, some EEPROMs, and down the road you go.) I haven't looked at the insides of a Dodge OBDI PCM..... Nor have I seen anything near the community working on reprogramming them that there is for the GM PCMs...... So far as I know, there are very few companies that will do custom tunes for the Dodge OBDI computers... The dealer will likely just want to replace it with the 'correct' PCM. Think I would be tempted just to wander the junk yards, and see if you can find one for the 5.9, and manual trans. Doesn't matter what 'weight' truck you get it from, nor do I think it matters which manual trans it has.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:36 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran

If worse comes to worse, then could I go with a remanufactured unit from the parts store?

I'll start scouring scrap yards here soon, but ususally don't find the 3/4 or 1 tons in the yards around here. The manual never came behind a 5.9 in a 1/2 ton, so I'd have to find a heavier duty truck.

You said the obd1 computers don't care about the vin, so would that mean 94 and 95 computers are interchangeable? I can(if worse comes to worse) get a 95 5.9 manual remanufactured computer from oreillys.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...control+module

I'm not sure how reliable they are, but If i have to would it work?

(Sorry if this thread just keeps dragging on, I just wanna get all the ifs and buts out of the way before I tackle the job )

Old 04-17-2017, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would think a reman from the parts store would work fine. And yeah, you would probably have to get one for a 2500 with 5.9/manual trans.