2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual Transmission Parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 08:41 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Parts

So I found a good deal on a 95 1500 that had a blown motor and a manual transmission. Motor has been already pulled out. I pulled out the trailer, loaded it up, and took it back to the farm. I plan on swapping the manual into my truck in the future, but right now I'm gathering some parts. Im going to be ordering a flywheel for my 5.9, and a clutch kit. I'm trying to find the pressure plate bolts, as well as the flywheel bolts too. I looked up the correct sections in the parts manuals found in the DIY, but when I search the part numbers nothin comes up.
Here are those pages:
Manual Transmission Parts-img_3626.png
Manual Transmission Parts-img_3635.png

This tranny is coming off of a 5.2, and going to a 5.9. I know it's a nv3500, but I've read up on people running behind the 5.9 and it holding up fine, so I'm going to try it.

I was reading up on a thread here where someone was doing the same swap, and found a set of both the pressure plate and flywheel bolts on Jegs, I couldn't find it though. Some help will be greatly appreacted. Thanks!

If you know of anywhere I can get the bolts for mating the transmission to the engine, I'd like that too, but I can always run to the hardware store when time comes.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran

I've done some looking and have found some flywheel bolts from summit. The mr. Gasket ones are 1/2 bolts and the arp are 7/16. Not sure if they are the right thing though.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...iew/make/dodge
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...iew/make/dodge

Also found some NOS ones on eBay, but he says they will fit all 360s 318s etc, but he doesn't give a size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Mopar-Fl...683315?vxp=mtr

Some sources I've heard the flywheel bolts are discontinued by dodge??

I haven't been able to fine anything on the pressure plate bolts.

Last edited by CJSuhr; 04-10-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

.375-16X1 is supposedly the bolt size. Same one for the six, and both v-8's. (different for diesel, and 8.0) I would suggest going to someplace like fastenall, and picking up a bunch.

There may be a superceded part number, but, them fellers are 8 bucks EACH......

Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Your saying them blogs are 3/8?? Those are tiny! I might not even be able to buy any until I pull my flex plate bolts off. If im correct those bolts are too short for the flywheel? Are the LA engines same as the magnum with the bolts or is there a possibility they are different?

Once i get out of school i might try calling up the dodge dealer.

Here it says flexplate to motor is 7/16. That's what I'm finding for all the LA engines as well as anything for the magnums.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ut-needed.html

On page 3 guessing about it on 9/16

Last edited by CJSuhr; 04-10-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't know. Just going by what I am reading in the parts manual. And I believe that measurement is for the actual threaded portion of the bolt, not the bolt head.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Yeah I understand. I'll probably wait or stop by some of the local scrap yards. Would you happen to have any leads on the pressure plate bolts?

Are they usually grade 8 regular bolts? Guessing I could just find some that fit?

Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I would go with some grade 8's the right size. They are likely to be fairly unique though.... Probably short, fat, fine thread bolts......

Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

Well I guess that's the case when your needing bolts! Just the oddest sizes. I'll head to the scrap years soon this weekend and see if I can't find a manual. I'll update if I find any, and if anyone else can direct me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Another challenge I'll face is driveshafts. It's a short box and mines a long bed. I was reading up that the manual is about an inch shorter, but the rear automatic driveline should still work, but the front is where the problem lies. I have the front driveshaft, and if I'm correct the length will work as it's a single cab and mines a single cab? I wouldnt see why not.

Last edited by CJSuhr; 04-10-2017 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think cab length matters for the front driveshaft, the t-case ends up in the same place regardless. Trans length is what will make a difference. If the manual is only an inch shorter, the current driveshaft should be able to work just fine.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:28 PM
CJSuhr
Veteran

That's what I was thinking. Back to the crank bolts, If i can't find a manual at the scrap heard, i might pull some automatic ones and then check the size. It's better than guessing. If i get around that Far I'll let you know so we all have a definate answer on size and thread pitch. Won't be till this weekend tho