2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ole transmission maybe

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Just curious
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ole transmission maybe

Well today was driving the 97 ram 1500 and now the sucker don't wanna shift. Have started checking things like the fluid. I'm hoping all won't be lost! Seems like it doesn't wanna shift out of 1st. Will rev high but barely move. I did the Ole put her in reverse and go backwards then put back in drive and it worked like normal for a bit till I got to a hill...

Thought I'd post on her and update what I find out just for fun

Old 04-14-2017, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,190 Likes on 2,943 Posts

Check fluid level first. Gotta check in neutral. If the fluid level is good, pull the 8 pin connector on the drivers side of the trans, and see if it will move. You will have zero automatic function, so, start in first, and shift when it feel necessary.

Old 04-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Just curious
Amateur

So is that a relearn function basically for an automatic? Unplug that connector and plug back in right? Was going to look at threads tonight to find out more info

If it works after that is there a next step to take?

Last edited by Just curious; 04-14-2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:28 PM
flyboys62

For fun. Just got rid of 1997 1500. traded for a newer truck. Had taken it to a Midas muffler shop to have converter checked. They took it for a test drive and wrecked it. They said it was my fault their mechanic wrecked it. I told the guy when I gave him the keys to watch because when I was coming over the accelerator had stuck on hard take off. Well he did not tell his man so to make short he wrecked it. would not fix it and could not get a lawyer to fight for me. I had just rebuilt the tranny and over drive unit and the mechanic I used put diesel tran clutches in it because I used it to pull lawn trailer and pushed snow. Sorry but it was 4x4. All new frontend, brakes ,lines rotors, pads, 4 new tires. got 2500 trade. wash we could have gotten together could have made you a great deal. They took it to junk yard I would have guessed. That my story. Also had new radiator. I would have fixed it my self but too old to rebuilding front end. Just needed to replace the front axle but you have to remove everything. I am 70 years old.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Just curious
Amateur

Originally Posted by flyboys62
For fun. Just got rid of 1997 1500. traded for a newer truck. Had taken it to a Midas muffler shop to have converter checked. They took it for a test drive and wrecked it. They said it was my fault their mechanic wrecked it. I told the guy when I gave him the keys to watch because when I was coming over the accelerator had stuck on hard take off. Well he did not tell his man so to make short he wrecked it. would not fix it and could not get a lawyer to fight for me. I had just rebuilt the tranny and over drive unit and the mechanic I used put diesel tran clutches in it because I used it to pull lawn trailer and pushed snow. Sorry but it was 4x4. All new frontend, brakes ,lines rotors, pads, 4 new tires. got 2500 trade. wash we could have gotten together could have made you a great deal. They took it to junk yard I would have guessed. That my story. Also had new radiator. I would have fixed it my self but too old to rebuilding front end. Just needed to replace the front axle but you have to remove everything. I am 70 years old.
I'm Hoping it's not too bad on my wallet but that sure woulda been a deal I imagine. Where's this junk yard haha

Old 04-15-2017, 08:13 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Just curious
So is that a relearn function basically for an automatic? Unplug that connector and plug back in right? Was going to look at threads tonight to find out more info

If it works after that is there a next step to take?
No. Unplug the connector, and leave it unplugged. That disables all the electronics in the trans. Drive it with the trans unplugged to see if your problem is simply electronic, or if you have an actual mechanical failure. If the trans shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, doesn't slip, or make rude noises, then its just an electrical problem, and changing them out should solve it. If it still exhibits undesirable behavior, then its a mechanical problem, and its rebuild time.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Just curious
Amateur

Well I went to drive the truck home from my friends house. I was going to check to see if unplugging that connector worked but I didnt see it immediately and didn't have much time to fool with it. Tried to drive it home but wouldn't even budge until about 4K and then wouldn't do much at all.

Pulled it home, (30-45 min pull). Thought I'd try it to see if it worked.. it did! Like nothing was wrong then after a couple times of pulling forward and backing up it acted up again and wouldn't move.

Parked it for today, I'll try to find that connector tmw or something.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Drivers side, about halfway back, plugs straight down, into the trans, above the valve body.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Just curious
Amateur

Well found the plug, circular one above the oilpan basically. Still didn't work right. Guess I'll order a rebuild kit and have at it

Old 05-28-2017, 05:16 PM
Just curious
Amateur
Default Here we go

Well took about 2.5 hours but it's out. Not nearly as bad as I thought it was gonna be. First one to ever pull from anything.