2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broke my Air intake box in a fit of RAGE >_<

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my Air intake box in a fit of RAGE >_<

Uggghhhhh!!!

let me start off by saying, whoever designed the air cleaner box on these trucks should be shot in the face!!! >_<..worst, most retarded design I have EVER seen on any Vehicle.

Now that ive got that off my chest... I was Struggling to get the stupid thing back on, as I always do for a good 30 mins after removing it, and I ended up snapping off the stupid plastic clips in a fit of rage.....Now the box doesent seal compleatly, there is a small area that is open....I assume my intake is sucking un-filtered air from the engine bay now, instead of through the filter...

What are my options here? Buy a CAI? Glue the stupid thing shut?

Kind of leaning towards buying a CAI so that i can watch the stock air box slowly melt over my fire-pit in the back yard while I sing "BURN MOTHER F-ER BURN!!!"

Old 06-20-2011, 04:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Open element, or CAI, or, check the local junkyards for a replacement. (if you are feeling particularly masochistic......)

Old 06-20-2011, 04:09 PM
talthyren
Veteran

K... Will post pics of my air box bonfire at a later date...

Can you recommend any CAI's or open elements that are fairly cheap...? Im somewhat low on funds.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:51 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Do a search here on the forum for "FIPK 14x3" and you should find many threads about CAIs and the 14x3 open air filter cleaner. You can usually pick a 14x3 up down at the auto parts store for under $50, unless you are really picky about what logo they have on it, and a 14x3 generic air filter to go with it. Only trick with the 14x3 unit is you have to bend the threaded rod properly to make it seal properly.

Last edited by jasonw; 06-20-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

junkyard...

CAI is a big waste of money.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know you're supposed to take the box off that rubber nub thingy under the front of it and the clamp on the throttle body first right?
When I play in the mud I throw mine back on my truck (open element air cleaner and mud don't mix) and it always goes pretty smooth. I leave that rubber thing in the box though, I just screw it on/off the stud instead of trying to strong arm it out of the air box.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:04 AM
CaseInternational
Rookie

The previous owner of my truck did the same thing you did and his fix worked but looked questionable was to install a large hose clamp around the two housings and tighten that up on the section that the tabs broke off and used that to hold them together. It might get you by until you can find a factory replacement or go with the CAI. Plus a 2 dollar hose clamp is a hole lot cheaper than dusting your engine because it sucked in un-cleaned air.

Jeff

Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Duct tape.......duct tape fixes everything.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:37 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

My tabs were broken on my air box before I bought it. I was quite frustrated to find the broken tabs one month after I bought it when I went to change the filter.

I ended up buying a Spectre CAI clone off ebay. I didn't notice any performance gains over the stock unit. It just made the intake much louder.

About a month ago, I went to my local Pick and Pull and bought a complete stock intake for $8.

In the end, I kinda wished I would have stopped at the Pick and Pull to get the stock box before checking ebay for a CAI.

-JT

Old 06-21-2011, 04:04 AM
93grandzj
Professional

there are several of us out there that run the Spectre CAI for 125 or less, depending on your searching luck. i have the whole factory set up in the box in case i want to go serious off-roading not just over the hills to the bonfire or around town. Truly all up to you but thats about the cheapest I would go with a reliable CAI system.

Quick Reply: Broke my Air intake box in a fit of RAGE >_<