2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Differential Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:37 PM
WestportRenovations
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential Upgrade

My rear differential is making a lot of noise. I am sure the bearings and seals are going out. I'm not one to just repair something when it breaks. I want to make it better than before.

Right now I have an open differential and my truck is 2wd. I want to add a Detroit Trueloc while I am rebuilding the differential.

Here are my questions:

1) Other than the Trueloc, is their any other hardware I need to purchase in order to install the TrueLoc? Do I need to purchase other gears?

2) Has anybody else done this that can offer some advise?

3) Where is the best (ie cheapest) place to purchase the Trueloc?

Thanks for any help!

FYI, my truck is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 SL 2wd, 5.9L. I've only owned this truck for about 3 months now. It has 175k miles on it. As far as I can tell, everything on the truck is factory. No mods have been done yet.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Do you mean a Detroit TrueTrac? Helical gear type LSD?

If so, make sure you get one you can mount your gears to, and then get a master rebuild kit for the rear. That'll be everything you need. (aside from fluid) If you want to re-gear, NOW is the time to do it. So, questions become, what gears ya got now? What size tires do you run, and do you want to go larger at some point, and what do you use your truck for? Towing/hauling? Etc.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:17 PM
WestportRenovations

Yes, I meant Detroit TrueTrac.

I have 3.55 gears and factory, 245 75 Tires and 16 in wheels. This is my daily driver work truck so I haul a lot of materials in it and I tow small trailers with it, but I don't go off roading and I don't have any desire (or money) to get larger wheels and tires. What I need most is dependability and better traction.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The true trac will be the hot ticket then. Are you going to do the labor yourself? Or pay someone else to do it? Setting up gears is not something you should do, if you haven't done it before.....

Old 06-10-2017, 09:43 PM
WestportRenovations

I was thinking about doing it myself and saving $600. I haven't messed with a differential before but I just replaced all 4 ***** joints, all 4 tie rod ends, and both rotor hub assemblies and bearings last weekend and that wasn't too difficult. I figured as long as I can find some instructions/videos online, I should be OK.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you don't have one yet, download the service manual for your truck from here. Read thru the procedure a couple times, then watch a couple videos. There IS some special tools required. (precision measuring equipment) You *may* be able to rent them from your local parts store.

You will also need a press....... and the clamshell feller for removing pressed on bearings. If you know someone with a press, that will help.... if you don't, you are going to have problems.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:20 PM
WestportRenovations

Thanks for all of the info HeyYou! Do you or anyone else have any recommendations of where I can purchase the Detroit TrueTrac? I already have the master rebuild kit.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Everyone and their cousin sells them. Google Detroit True Trac, and start checking results. Find the lowest price, then, call one of your local parts stores, and see if they will match it, or, at least, come close. If they will, buy it from them. Makes warranty issues, if any, MUCH easier to deal with.