2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission woes (No OD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission woes (No OD)

Hey gang. My truck decided it doesn't want to go into overdrive anymore and I'm looking for solutions.
For background: Recently got back from a road trip through Yellowstone. Wasn't towing anything and the truck wasn't loaded down by anything too heavy. A few times i noticed engine temp in the 230 range but it never overheated. once we got back to the prairie I checked the trannyfluid and it was quite a bit burnt. It had been checked before the trip and was fine before we left. I resolved to take it easy on the way home and drop the pan when we got there. A couple hundred miles later the truck started having some slipping issues between OD and 3rd. I shut off OD and nursed it another 250 miles home. By the time we got there the truck was also slipping before take off, but held gears while driving without issue.

Thinking this might just be a fluid issue, I drained the fluid and it was now black. left it to drain overnight and got about 6 quarts total out of the truck. refilled, and I was no longer having issues going into gear at take off. I drained the fluid again (still wasn't red due to the excess in the system) and swapped the filter before refilling again. The truck is now behaving normally, but will not go into overdrive at all. The fluid still isn't true red yet.

Wondering if I should try a manual flush or take it to the shop? or just drop the pan again and thoroughly clean the valve body. The transmission was rebuilt 80- 90k miles ago, the overdrive unit was rebuilt 5k miles ago. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

If you are thinking about flushing it, don't. You might just as well rebuild it instead, as that will likely be needed shortly after the flush.

Change the fluid again.

Is the O/D Off lite on? Trans temp lite in the dash? Have you gotten rid of the check valve in the cooler line yet? I HIGHLY recommend that you do, if you haven't already. Might also consider a trans temp gauge.

Any codes?? (won't necessarily turn on the lite, check 'em anyway.)

Old 06-17-2017, 11:54 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you are thinking about flushing it, don't. You might just as well rebuild it instead, as that will likely be needed shortly after the flush.

Change the fluid again.

Is the O/D Off lite on? Trans temp lite in the dash? Have you gotten rid of the check valve in the cooler line yet? I HIGHLY recommend that you do, if you haven't already. Might also consider a trans temp gauge.

Any codes?? (won't necessarily turn on the lite, check 'em anyway.)
cycled the OD, and it works like normal. No lights otherwise. I haven't done the check valve yet but will try that. Only code is a cylinder 7 misfire I've been fighting with.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Still won't shift into O/D though? Wonder if the PCM thinks the trans is too hot.... It the PCM requests overdrive, and doesn't see the RPM drop, it *should* set a code.....

Old 06-18-2017, 02:54 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Not seeing anything. No change in RPMS, no CEL, no instant codes if I check while driving...

Old 06-18-2017, 02:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Can you see if the PCM is even requesting O/D? Or if the PCM currently sees it as disabled?

Old 06-18-2017, 03:24 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Is there a way to check that? I can read raw data off the OBDII port but wouldn't know what to look for

Old 06-18-2017, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Depends on what scanner you are using. The high-zoot fellers should have an option to show data (while driving), and you just scroll thru it and find what you want. If you have software for your laptop, I have discovered that they don't have all the process ID's implemented, though they can still read them.... but, I have never been able to find a list of just what the PRIDs are, and what format the data comes in......

Old 06-18-2017, 04:48 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

My scanner is an OTC, which is low end and limited. I use the Torque android app mostly

Old 06-18-2017, 04:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I have no idea if that will tell you or not..... Snap-On MTG 2500 should, (or better) if you know someone that has one.